S&s isa

Options
Hi all,

My first post so go easy on me!

I'm 26 & currently saving money in a cash ISA. I am looking to get a house within the next year or so.

I have a Hargreaves Lansdown account and im looking at opening a S&S ISA. As im looking to buy a house im not going to save much in this account as i realise you want to be able to leave the money safe for a good amount of time.

Does anyone have any advice as to what my best options are? I assume using the ISA is the best way to get into these tracker fund type things? And i have seen vanguard 60 / 80 mentioned a lot, are these "generally" the one to go for?

I realise these depend a lot on circumstances but im mainly starting the account to dip my feet into the S&S and to get an understanding of it. Plus hopefully getting some money in there while im fairly young could help me for long term compound gains.

I dont mind slightly higher risk as im somewhat forgetting about the money going into it for now (although i suppose any stock / share account you need to do that for the first few years)

Thanks

Comments

• jdw2000
    jdw2000 Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tiggs90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My first post so go easy on me!

I'm 26 & currently saving money in a cash ISA. I am looking to get a house within the next year or so.

I have a Hargreaves Lansdown account and im looking at opening a S&S ISA. As im looking to buy a house im not going to save much in this account as i realise you want to be able to leave the money safe for a good amount of time.

Does anyone have any advice as to what my best options are? I assume using the ISA is the best way to get into these tracker fund type things? And i have seen vanguard 60 / 80 mentioned a lot, are these "generally" the one to go for?

I realise these depend a lot on circumstances but im mainly starting the account to dip my feet into the S&S and to get an understanding of it. Plus hopefully getting some money in there while im fairly young could help me for long term compound gains.

I dont mind slightly higher risk as im somewhat forgetting about the money going into it for now (although i suppose any stock / share account you need to do that for the first few years)

Thanks

Hello, and welcome. When will you be needing this money? Is your house money a separate account/fund?
  • tiggs90
    Options
    Hi! No particular time or reason currently.

House deposit money is staying in cash ISA and im planning on still putting approx 80% of my savings monthly into this to help it on its way(its useless but safe!)

The reason for looking into the S&S tracker is just because i want to begin investing money - it has no particular reason or end point.

Thanks
  • jdw2000
    jdw2000 Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Based on what you've said, I'd just start a S&S ISA with one of the funds you've already mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure