Real-life MMD:Dogs destroyed neighbour's signed ball. Should we replace it?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 5 November 2013 at 5:40PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Dogs destroyed neighbour's signed ball. Should we replace it?

Our neighbour's son kicked his football into our garden and our three dogs destroyed it. Apparently the ball was signed by Wayne Rooney and valuable. We were out, our dogs get into the back garden via a dog flap. The neighbour's threatened us with court unless we pay for a new signed ball. Yet we've 6ft fences and the dogs are contained. I'd happily pay for a replacement unsigned ball. But as he's threatening, I feel like ignoring him.

Click 'reply' to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it was that valuable the son wouldn't/shouldn't have been playing with it in the garden !! He kicked it over, its his tough luck. If he had kicked into the street and it had been run over and burst would that be the drivers fault? No!
    :hello:
  • svmitche
    svmitche Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    No bloody way!

You do not let your son play with signed valuable merchandise. If they didn't know he was playing with it and he pinched it to play with, they should get him to replace it.

If your dogs destroyed it, how do you know it was actually a signed ball in the first place?

You have taken reasonable precautions to ensure your pets can get exercise while not bothering your neighbours/getting out etc, if they can't teach their son not to be careless with his toys then it's their fault.

Stick to your guns!
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • Kittyq
    Options
    Ridiculous.they kicked the ball! If it was that valuable you wouldn't be playing with it
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Er, so they put their property in your protected garden, without your knowledge or permission, and expected you to guard it?

And how long does he expect the judge to waste on this question?
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • suze369
    suze369 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I doubt your neighbour has any right to threaten you with court. He allowed his son to play with the ball and to kick it out of their garden into yours, it shows the lack of real value they have placed on the item. I am sure there are legal precedents that others will be better able to quote. It's awkward to fall out with neighbours but you cannot be expected to replace a unique item that they allowed to be used and lost in this fashion.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1475
  • ALR
    ALR Posts: 162 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2013 at 9:38PM
    Options
    No, Definitely don't pay for it! It isn't your fault that their kid was careless and kicked a ball into your garden, let alone that he was playing with something that they say is valuable! If it is as valuable as they claim, then they shouldn't have let him play with it!!
    If it was any normal ball I doubt there would be a problem, you would be happy to replace it and they would no doubt happily accept, or may not even ask anything of you as they would realise that their child was not being careful. They're probably just upset that it was a special ball but thats no reason to take it out on you. Offer to replace with a normal ball but that is all you should do!
    :starmod: :starmod: :starmod: "Live like you mean it, Love 'til you feel it" :starmod: :starmod: :starmod:
    - The Goo Goo Dolls
  • kas42_2
    kas42_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Do not pay.
    They should not have been playing with it if it was so valuable. Your dogs only damaged something in there garden. If the neighbours did not want your dogs to play with it then they should have kept it in there own garden.
  • antonia86
    Options
    I wonder if they would have paid the vet bills had a piece of said ball damaged one of your dogs?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's learning to dance in the rain. :heart:
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Tell the neighbour to look up the term "contributory negligence". Whilst kicking the ball into your garden doesn't give you the right to willfully destroy it, if you've taken all reasonable precautions to keep the dogs seperate then I can't see a judge finding that you have to pay in full if at all.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would tell him to expect a large bill from your vet for X-rays to see if either dog has swallowed any of this ball that his son negligently kicked in to the garden.
    Also tell him if he would like to start the ball rolling by issuing a CCJ claim, it will make your claim cheaper as you can defend his and add a counter claim.
    Ask him to call a solicitor and see which one has most chance of succeeding.
    Be happy...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport