Barclaycard Cashback (Amex)

Options
I think the chip on my Barclaycard Amex may be fried.

I am trying to remember whether it operated in an online banking card reader (the Visa card works in NatWest, Barclays & Nationwide readers when pressing identify and entering my PIN). I get "This Card is Invalid" or "Wrong Card" with the Amex.

Would a kind MSE'er with a Barclaycard Amex try it in their card reader? If it works I'll ask Barclaycard for a replacement.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    I think the chip on my Barclaycard Amex may be fried.

I am trying to remember whether it operated in an online banking card reader (the Visa card works in NatWest, Barclays & Nationwide readers when pressing identify and entering my PIN). I get "This Card is Invalid" or "Wrong Card" with the Amex.

Would a kind MSE'er with a Barclaycard Amex try it in their card reader? If it works I'll ask Barclaycard for a replacement.

so do I with my absolutely valid and working barclaycard amex
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i didn't know a card reader was required for Barclaycard.co.uk access.. and they don't allow access to barclays.co.uk, do they?
  • guesswho2000
    Options
    Since those readers are all designed for Visa cards, I expect they simply don't recognise the Amex chip, similar to the message I get sometimes when I try and pay with an Amex at a place which doesn't accept it (a please swipe card, or similar, message, as if the chip wasn't there).

Can't see why you'd need to do this anyway, Barclays don't have any need for you to use any of their credit cards in a reader.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Since those readers are all designed for Visa cards, I expect they simply don't recognise the Amex chip, similar to the message I get sometimes when I try and pay with an Amex at a place which doesn't accept it (a please swipe card, or similar, message, as if the chip wasn't there).
    Yes, it says "this card is not valid" for Amex.
    Can't see why you'd need to do this anyway, Barclays don't have any need for you to use any of their credit cards in a reader.
    I think, just to check the suspicion that the chip is 'fried'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure