Emergency eBay shutdown

Options
What would be the process if you have to go away for some time due to a family emergency so you are not able to dispatch any orders during that time? Is there a way to temporarily shut down shop? I've seen some sellers posting up announcements saying they're away until a certain time, but that still allows orders to be placed and there's no guarantee that they announcement will be read before the order is placed.
Big corporations take advantage of the unwary, it's time we learned how to deal with them
:dance::dance::dance:
Any comments are based on personal experience and interest in consumer matters, they do not constitute advice.

Comments

• absolutereturn
    absolutereturn Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Big corporations take advantage of the unwary, it's time we learned how to deal with them
    Any comments are based on personal experience and interest in consumer matters, they do not constitute advice.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is only the case of you are an eBay business seller with an actual eBay "shop", is that the case? Also it doesn't stop buyers opening cases and leaving low stars for delivery times, because they weren't bright enough to read and understand the delivery dates when they placed their orders.

You still have to respond to any cases within 7 (?) days as per usual, if they are opened while you are "on holiday". If you don't the normal consequences will apply.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    That is only the case of you are an eBay business seller with an actual eBay "shop", is that the case? Also it doesn't stop buyers opening cases and leaving low stars for delivery times, because they weren't bright enough to read and understand the delivery dates when they placed their orders.

You still have to respond to any cases within 7 (?) days as per usual, if they are opened while you are "on holiday". If you don't the normal consequences will apply.

If you completely close the listings then people can't physically buy , I do this a lot as I have quite a few holidays as well as periods of working away. This facility is one reason why I have a shop, even though sometimes my sales really don't warrant it.

The clock still clicks down on the listings, and you can revise them or add to them but no one can buy from them. This only works on BINs , the auctions are not affected.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • absolutereturn
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »

Sadly not, I just put a few items for sale. I wasn't expecting this to happen, obviously, so what can I do?
  • absolutereturn
    Options
    Can I just end my listings early?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I just end my listings early?

Yep, that's the best thing. You won't have fees to pay unless any of your items have bids on them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • absolutereturn
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Yep, that's the best thing. You won't have fees to pay unless any of your items have bids on them.
    They are all BIN so no bids. Thanks for that. :T
  • absolutereturn
    Options
    Thanks for your help, I've ended all my listings in one go and didn't have to provide a reason for ending them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure