Is Ebay Worth the Effort These Days?

Options

Comments

• pennypincher3562
    pennypincher3562 Posts: 2,229 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2016 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Fair? Fairness doesn't come into it. You either cost it into your listings on Ebay or not.

Ok, maybe I used the wrong words. I can re-phrase that as 'I think that they have put too much pressure on sellers.' Let's face it, few of us can compete with Amazon, who never even made a profit for years.

http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2014/9/4/why-amazon-has-no-profits-and-why-it-works

We actually need to make a profit, or otherwise our efforts are pointless.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Free postage is rarely actually free. In most cases it has just been factored in the price of the product.

We sell on eBay with 'free' postage but it's the final profit after all costs and fees that really matters. If 'free' postage makes that profit zero or a minus figure, then we're not charging enough for the product.
  • pennypincher3562
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2016 at 10:37PM
    Options
    lovinituk wrote: »
    If 'free' postage makes that profit zero or a minus figure, then we're not charging enough for the product.

To me it is a Catch 22. Add £4 to the price of the item to cover the scam of 'free postage,' and you won't sell the item or be visible in the listings.

I am thinking that basically to succeed on Ebay they days, you really do need to source your products at the absolute rock bottom market price in bulk?
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To me it is a Catch 22. Add £4 to the price of the item to cover the scam of 'free postage,' and you won't sell the item or be visible in the listings.
    It depends what you're selling. With the business everything has free 2nd class but we have a very niche product and have pretty much cornered that particular market for the foreseeable future.

With the personal stuff I put on eBay I often list postage separately and still sell nearly everything I list. But then profit isn't a consideration there. Just getting a price I'm happy with will do.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I am thinking that basically to succeed on Ebay they days, you really do need to source your products at the absolute rock bottom market price in bulk?

It's not really a scam though. It is just a marketing tool. Another thing Ebay sellers let themselves down on. Refuse to offer "free" postage as its unfair. Refuse to dispatch within a few days because they do not have time to go to the post office. Refuse to accept returns. Argue with buyers because they didn't describe an item properly and the buyer should have checked. They then complain they have no sales and its all Ebay's fault.

There are a lot of sellers on Ebay and even more on the internet in general. If you want to sell then you have to be appealing to potential buyers.
  • pennypincher3562
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2016 at 10:56PM
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    It's not really a scam though. It is just a marketing tool. Another thing Ebay sellers let themselves down on. Refuse to offer "free" postage as its unfair. Refuse to dispatch within a few days because they do not have time to go to the post office. Refuse to accept returns. Argue with buyers because they didn't describe an item properly and the buyer should have checked. They then complain they have no sales and its all Ebay's fault.

There are a lot of sellers on Ebay and even more on the internet in general. If you want to sell then you have to be appealing to potential buyers.

I am doing all the things that I can do to be competitive. 'Free' postage, same day dispatch, Express postage, returns, etc, etc, but still find Ebay tough in 2016.

I think my main issue is I am not buying in bulk at rock bottom market price, and no longer have a niche that I have a deep understanding of like I like I did in 2006.

I reckon that Ebay has become 'ruthlessly efficient.' Much like our High Streets have when you see all the abandoned shops, etc.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    About 95% of my business stock is free postage, 1 day dispatch with either MyhErmes or 2nd class as my 'free option'. I set it that way to keep my TRS discount . However I still sell some items in the antique and collectable categories and some of that is difficult to pack, so I go to a 2 day dispatch and often show the postage seperately as Competiton is much less for unique antique pieces.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • NEWUser_2
    Options
    I think for the user clearing out stuff from home that used to save taking things to the dump, it has died a death. If things do sell it is hardly worth the effort after fees to paypal and fees to eBay. I only list when they have free listings because I am not prepared to pay a listing fee if the time does not sell and it can take a few rotations for anything to sell now. What I find completely insane is them taking a fee on what is being charged for postage. We have to gross up postage to afford the paypal fees and eBay fees on it, then customers give poor feedback as it is a higher change than they know post office charge, so they give poor feedback, after a time enough poor feedback on postage means your rating slip. If you add the postage to the thing you are selling you get no buyers and no bidders.

For me now it is a waste of time. I am sure as a business you can change what you sell on there, but was that what eBay was for originally? Initially it was full of curiosities that people had found in their attic and were reselling to collectors, now it is just another retail outfit,
  • celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I did very well out of Ebay for many years, and had a blinder in 2014/2015 tax year because I tapped into exactly the right thing at the right time.

However I am fed up with all the changes Ebay keep making, and now am focussing my attention on a new venture.

What is the best way to sell off stock!!
    I am doing lots of short 20% off sales.
    Also adding Best Offer to listings has helped...
    I tried buy one get one 40% off but that did not get any interest...
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I buy the occasional item, but haven't sold anything in years - way too much hassle for the small amounts to be made now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure