PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

damsons 90p per pound? for jam

Options
Seen a local sign near me selling damsons. Is this a good price?

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sazzy have you checked out mysupermarket.co.uk? You can compare prices. Myself or Pink will pop this over to the Shopping and groceries board once you get some more input

Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

thanks
    Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They were about the same price near me, but I know somewhere where they grow, so I can pick my own for free, so didn't buy them. They don't sell them in the supermarkets - only in the form of jam that has already been made.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trouble is, you see them for sale so rarely (outside of pick your own farms) that it's hard to say what is a good price.
    A pound of damsons will make 1.5-2lbs of jam (with the addition of an equal amount of sugar)
    It really depends how much you want them?
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would love to get some damsons at any price to make some jam....haven't seen them for sale for years!

At Seakays pricing you would be getting a pound of jam for 75p...not the cheapest but you will have wonderful jam.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Gintotmelinda
    Options
    hi all!

Sazzy6-that's about what I paid for mine today-in fact I paid a bit more. I don't see them for sale very often so I bought some and have made jam this afternoon.

OH is drooling.....and I have some clotted cream. Ok now for the scones!

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if any of you live near me(Worcestershire) we have a tree full of damsons you could have as long as you can pick them! I'm not keen and hate to see them wasted!please PM me if interested!
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    I paid that for some and some greengages too. Made absolutely amazing jam :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • sazzy6
    sazzy6 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all,

I think I will pop round tomorrow and buy a few pounds. I've never made jam from a stoned fruit so looking forward to it. Made rhubarb and ginger jam last week - it was loooovely.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I get mine free too - there are 8 trees full of them near to us
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sexymouse wrote: »
    They don't sell them in the supermarkets - only in the form of jam that has already been made.

I've never seen damson jam on sale. I'll be looking out for these in my supermarket (I know they've had them for the last couple of years) so I can make some jam. I've got a load of blackcurrants and blackberries in my freezer ready for jam making too! Just need to get the sugar - which I can't fit into my budget at the moment :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure