IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Evidence pack received by Email...What next?

Options
blacksta
blacksta Posts: 919 Forumite
edited 3 September 2015 at 5:32AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello All

Evidence pack received by by myself via email and I feel it has not addressed the the point I raised

1. I addressed the fact that they had no authority

Response:

Authority
ParkingEye can confirm that the above site is on private land, is not council owned and that we have written authority to operate and issue Parking Charge Notices at this site from the landowner (or landowner’s agent).
It must also be noted that any person who makes a contract in his own name without disclosing the existence of a principal, or who, though disclosing the fact that he is acting as an agent on behalf of a principal, renders himself personally liable on the contract, is entitled to enforce it against the other contracting party. (Fairlie v Fenton (1870) LR 5 Exch 169). It follows that a lawful contract between ParkingEye and the motorist will be enforceable by ParkingEye as a party to that contract.

2. I stated it was not a pre-estimation of loss

The usual response

You have stated that you do not believe that the Parking Charge amount is a pre-estimation of loss or that it is extravagant/unfair/unreasonable. Please note that HHJ Moloney QC presided over a court hearing (ParkingEye v Barry Beavis and Martin Wardley [2014]) regarding the amount of ParkingEye’s Parking Charges and found that a Parking Charge of £85 could not be considered an unenforceable penalty. An appeal was subsequently lodged by the First Defendant and the matter was heard by the Court of Appeal on 24 February 2015. The Court of Appeal handed down its Judgment on 24 April 2015, and found in ParkingEye’s favour on all grounds.

3. I stated that the signage was not clear . covered by overgrown foilage and not properly lit. As I entered the carpark at Night time

Parking Eye Response

Firstly the pictures provided by parking were daytime pictures. Pictures taken when there were no overgrown foilage covering the signs

ParkingEye ensures that all its signage is clear, ample, and in keeping with the British Parking Association (BPA) regulations.
The signage at this site demonstrates adequate colour contrast between the text and the backgrounds advised in the BPA Code of Practice, you will note the colour contrast at this site is black text on yellow background. There is sufficient ambient lighting on site and we have highlighted some of the lighting poles within the images. (Enclosed)

There are also signs at the entrance to the car park which adjoin an illuminated public road and so we can confirm that there is sufficient ambient lighting at this site.
It is up to the person who is seeking to park in an area to make sure that they can validly park in that area. The onus is on the person parking

What next ?

Thanks
I owe £3233 @ 0%

Comments

• Northlakes
    Options
    You have do a full rebuttal.
    Require full un-redacted copy of contract.
    Beavis still at appeal at the SC
    Pictures not taken under actual conditions that exist

Did you check on the Council website whether PE have planning consent for ANPR cameras and signage.
    At the POPLA/OS stage, if you can't find those permissions you can allege that they don't exist and it's up to them to prove they have.
    No signage/anpr consent is unlawful and against BPA CoP 5.3.
    REVENGE IS A DISH BETTER SERVED COLD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Here's an excellent example of how one poster dealt effectively and comprehensively with a PPC's Evidence Pack. I'm sure this will give you plenty of ideas on how to handle your case.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=67385911&posted=1#post67385911

And another one to consider.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67402366&postcount=26
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • blacksta
    Options
    Thank You very much guys ... I won

Below is my rebutal letter
    I owe £3233 @ 0%
  • blacksta
    blacksta Posts: 919 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2015 at 4:37AM
    Options
    Dear Sir/Ma
    Ref. POPLA appeal xxxxxxxx
    In response to the evidence pack Parking Eye received xxxxxxxxx
    Parking Eye have submitted an ‘evidence’ pack in support of their speculative and disputed invoice. I do not intend to address each and every point they have raised in detail as their submission is clearly a quickly hashed template, much of which is repetitive or indeed irrelevant to the matter at hand.

In making their assessment I ask the POPLA assessor to consider the following in further support of my original appeal submitted on xxxxxxxxx

1. The Operator has provided no evidence of any authority to offer and/or enter into a contract with a driver for parking, or pursue unpaid charges, or recover unpaid charges through litigation. The BPA CoP requires its members to have such authority in place and for the Claimant to identify itself as the Creditor, ( under schedule 4 of POFA 2012) they would require such authority. I therefore require that any and all contracts with the landowner, any written authority and/or other such other authorisation from the landowner is disclosed for the relevant period. If it is not, the appeal should be upheld. Additionally if any such authority grants a “ right to pursue unpaid parking charges in accordance with the BPA code of practice “ or words to that effect , without expressly authorising any rights to take court action then this would be insufficient and the appeal should be upheld.

2. Parking Eye have provided photographic evidence that does reflect the actual conditions that exist. Parking Eye have provided day time pictures dated xxxxxxxxx . The parking invoice was issued on the xxxxxxxxxx. The Photographic evidence I submitted with my first correspondence to POPLA titled “Evidence 1 “clearly show that on entry to the car park, the entry parking signs where covered with overgrown foliage. Another photographic evidence provided by myself clearly demonstrates that some of the Lighting poles at the car park were not operational at the time the parking invoice was issued making it impossible to read signs at night time and furthermore it simply would not be possible to read any signs whilst in a moving car, and certainly not have read them sufficiently to have be deemed to fully understand the T&C's to which it is alleged I agreed as the registered keeper of the vehicle.

3. Parking Eye claims that they have asserted the charges are a genuine pre-estimate of loss, and this is given as the justification that the charge is a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Parking Eye has failed to provide any actual evidence as to how the figures they quote are a genuine pre-estimate of loss. There is no attempt by PE to provide a clear and detailed breakdown of their estimate and it has just quoted small parts of the Beavis ruling which is not actual evidence. Parking Eye did not disclose that The Court of Appeal granted Mr Beavis permission to appeal its judgment on the recoverability of penalty charges imposed by a PPC.

It is also believed that the Supreme Court’s decision in Parking Eye vs Beavis will have an impact on the outcome of this POPLA appeal. As stated in my previous correspondence, if PE does not cancel their speculative and disputed invoice and/or if there is no other ground upon which the appeal can be determined, I ask that my case be adjourned pending the Beavis case
    I owe £3233 @ 0%
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    Options
    It is also believed that the Supreme Court’s decision in Parking Eye vs Beavis will have an impact on the outcome of this POPLA appeal. As stated in my previous correspondence, if UKPC does not cancel their speculative and disputed invoice and/or if there is no other ground upon which the appeal can be determined, I ask that my case be adjourned pending the Beavis case

Oops, almost an own goal there fella! I guess the assessor didn't get this far down your rebuttal!

Anyway, job done, and well done. Please see my comments against your post in the POPLA Decisions sticky.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • blacksta
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Oops, almost an own goal there fella! I guess the assessor didn't get this far down your rebuttal!

Anyway, job done, and well done. Please see my comments against your post in the POPLA Decisions sticky.

My Bad ... it was corrected in the email sent to popla
    I owe £3233 @ 0%
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    We .... as a forum need to collate a list of sites where authority to charge people is not proven ....

It could come in handy if the POPLA change of assessors does not go smoothly

Ralph:cool:
  • g0wfv
    g0wfv Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done!

Can you post the POPLA assessor's response (redacted of personal info) into the POPLA Decisions thread along with a link back to this thread so as to enable the experts to keep advice current.

Thanking you!

(I see you may already have done so - my bad!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure