Unfair dismissal?

Options

Comments

• Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2017 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Absolutely, so under s.6 of the prosecution of offences act, the OP should bring a private prosecution....

Meanwhile back on earth...

I have to agree with the other poster, this is a really unconstructive reply.

The OP has asked whether the employer did anything illegal and I have responded with the relevant legislation, what the OP does with that information is up to them. I have not suggested the OP attempt to prosecute their ex-employer, but I do have a respect for privacy, especially as an IT professional who has to deal with these exact scenarios at work.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    I have to agree with the other poster, this is a really unconstructive reply.

The OP has asked whether the employer did anything illegal and I have responded with the relevant legislation, what the OP does with that information is up to them.

It's no more unhelpful than your post citing your interpretation of the law - , which is highly flawed as the information, despite being accessed from a third party server is still downloaded onto the company computer, and where the employee in all likelihood signed the terms of use of company IT equipment, which would allow access.

The point I was making is that no-one is going to prosecute this, unless the OP him or herself decides to.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I mean they can fire me for asking a question about an other career. And even if I was looking for a new job that’s not illegal?

Sorry for the really long post!

It's way too long and complicated, you don't do yourself any favours.

If you've been there less than 24 months then it's very easy for them to get rid of you, if you've been there longer than 24 months then they need to have followed their disciplinary policy.

You need the employee handbook and the reason why they terminated your employment in writing. Then you need to talk them into paying you off, because they don't want you to work there anymore
  • Energize
    edited 13 November 2017 at 7:31PM
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    It's no more unhelpful than your post citing your interpretation of the law - , which is highly flawed as the information, despite being accessed from a third party server is still downloaded onto the company computer, and where the employee in all likelihood signed the terms of use of company IT equipment, which would allow access.

The employee didn't download the information to the computer though, that is the whole point. The employer downloaded it after the employee had been terminated!
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    The information was downloaded by the employer (after the OP had been terminated I might add), this is something they are not authorised to do hence why an offence has been committed.

As a layperson the technicalities might be hard for you to follow but it is analogous to entering someones house because they left the door open and then taking a look around.

Do tell us about your expertise Energize! :rotfl:

Your analogy is grossly flawed. It's the equivalent of leaving your handbag in someone's house and the house owner taking a look. Impolite, but not illegal.
  • Energize
    Options
    Well I could tell you that I have a degree in computer science and 8 years industry experience, but you would say that counts for nothing I'm sure. Your analogy is based on a complete lack of understanding of what a session is, and case law on the computer misuse act demonstrates that the analogy I have presented is what judges are going to rule by.

I think this discussion has highlighted how poor the general publics knowledge of how computers function is!
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    I must admit, as one who has a poor knowledge of computers, I found your original analogy a bit strange

I thought it would have been more like it if you had said that it was the same as gong into the employees house, which was owned by the company, after they had left

Can you explain why that isn’t so? After all, it is the company’s computer etc etc

Thank you
  • Energize
    Options
    I think the key point that I haven't quite gotten across perhaps and which doesn't easily translate to real life is that this situation here revolves around the concept of a virtual link between the two computers which the OP could be thought of as having left behind.

In the scenario in this thread we start out with two computers, the employers computer which the OP is using and the linkedin server which is where all the personal messages are stored.

When the OP sent their login details to the linkedin server a "session" was created between the employers computer and the linkedin server. A session can simply be thought of as a tunnel over which information can be exchanged, thus now allowing the employers computer to download personal data belonging to the OP in the future.

OP is then terminated by employer.

What the employer then did by clicking links on the OP's linkin profile page was to send requests to the linkedin server asking for the OP's private messages, the server sent those messages to the employers computer in response.

So we now have those private messages downloaded onto the employers computer due to an unauthorised request that they made after the employee was dismissed.

If I use a message analogy instead, it's a bit like me sending letters pretending to be someone else in the hopes of receiving personal information about them back.

The employer can look through any data on their computer that they like, but they cannot use that data however they like. Here they used session data to obtain unauthorised access to other data, this is the basis of many types of hacks, we just don't call something like this hacking because it's so unsophisticated and opportunistic in nature.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. That’s clearer.

To be honest I don’t think your original analogy helped. Now you’ve explained it I can see the point about hitting the LinkedIn server.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just to add a quick comment - it's been suggested upthread that the OP's Linked-In account usage was personal. I think it was both business and personal, the OP worked in recruitment and Linked-In is an appropriate tool to use to advertise vacancies and headhunt potential candidates. However, in using it as a work took, It would have been wiser to separate work from personal by having two logins (business and personal email addresses), or at least not indulging in personal messaging.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport