Speeding offences & insurance policies

Options
I recently got caught 42 in a 30. First offence for speeding. I returned the paperwork this week so i imagine i'll hear from them next week at the earliest, maybe the week after depending how long it takes to process.

Now someone at work (yeah that classic - where we find all the experts :rotfl:) who got caught doing 41 in a 30 said that 41 is the cut off point for a speed awareness course. You'll get the option at 41 but not 42.

Correct or not?

They went on to say that i certainly wont get the option of a speed awareness course as when they got the initial paperwork through the post, it stated what the punishment would be (points, fines) & gave the option of a course.

I don't know if this is area specific but when i got mine there was no mention of this. I just had to fill out my name and give in my driver licence number.

I believe i am looking at, with the change in punishment this year, '4 to 6' points.
So as i don't yet know what's happening, do i phone my car insurance company to tell them i just got given points? If so i assume i wait on the points being given rather than now to say i got caught speeding.
Or do you just do it at renewal?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Check your policy wording to see when your insurer requires informing about convictions/points/speed awareness courses

Different insurers have different policies on this

42 is generally the cut off point
  • George_Michael
    Options
    I recently got caught 42 in a 30. First offence for speeding. I returned the paperwork this week so i imagine i'll hear from them next week at the earliest, maybe the week after depending how long it takes to process.
    Provided that your speed was recorded at 42 then this is just in the band for a possible course being offered.
    speedingtable.png
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Now someone at work (yeah that classic - where we find all the experts :rotfl:) who got caught doing 41 in a 30 said that 41 is the cut off point for a speed awareness course. You'll get the option at 41 but not 42.

Correct or not?

They went on to say that i certainly wont get the option of a speed awareness course as when they got the initial paperwork through the post, it stated what the punishment would be (points, fines) & gave the option of a course.

I don't know if this is area specific but when i got mine there was no mention of this. I just had to fill out my name and give in my driver licence number.

I believe i am looking at, with the change in punishment this year, '4 to 6' points.
    So as i don't yet know what's happening, do i phone my car insurance company to tell them i just got given points? If so i assume i wait on the points being given rather than now to say i got caught speeding.
    Or do you just do it at renewal?

Even if a course weren't offered, you'd still be eligible for 3 points and £100 fixed penalty up to and including 49mph.

As Quentin says, when you tell your insurance company depends on what your policy documentation says.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I'll have to check when I finish work

I'm with admiral. Does it say in your online documents? I don't remember there being a whole lot of small print in them
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I'm with admiral. Does it say in your online documents? I don't remember there being a whole lot of small print in them

Admiral group usually require notification of Speed Awareness Courses, but I don't know when they require notification. That would be somewhere in your documentation.
  • Quentin
    Options

There's always loads of small print in a car insurance policy!

You need to tell admiral about convictions/points/speed awareness courses etc at renewal
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Well i got it through today & i've been offered the course, thankfully.

I was expecting 4-6 points & 100% of weekly wage to be mentioned somewhere but it's not. If i don't take the course at £80 then the punishment is 3 points & £100.

So if i go on the course then what do i do regards my insurance? At renewal i obviously wouldn't say i have points because i'd have been on the course. So what would i put down when it comes to the section of have you committed any motoring offences?
  • Quentin
    Options
    You normally don't get asked that - you normally get asked about convictions

Consider not renewing

At present there are plenty of insurers not in the Admiral Group who don't enquire about courses.

Shop around and see if you would be better off going to a new insurer who doesn't ask

Do dummy quotes to see what difference it makes with admiral if you have a course to disclose in your history.

Then decide whether to go elsewhere
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    So if the question asks about convictions (such as speeding & the points for that) then I would answer no then (based on going on this course instead of taking the points)?

Unless of course somewhere in the questioning they also said - have you taken a course to bail yourself out of points.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    One speeding conviction won't really do much to harm your premiums, they're given out far too liberally as camera partnerships are run as business and it's all about money, there are probably more people with points on their licence than without.

If your caught and stopped by the actual Police, then things get expensive.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure