He's only gone and done it!

Options
elsien
elsien Posts: 32,863 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 20 July 2014 at 6:07PM in Pets & pet care
After last Thursday's fiasco practice for our demo display I was dreading today. Gitdog spent Thurs pm chasing cows, rolling round the field on his back, eating cowsh!t and generally ignoring everything I said. I might as well not have been there and I was nearly in tears I was so dispirited.

So today we trundle along to the display proper. A field full of displays, dogs, children, ferrets and small furries, Peppa Pig, llama's, lovely smelling food, I feel the head collar is essential. He manages to remove it twice within 10 minutes. So, in for a penny and all that, I bite the bullet and just use the harness.

Gitdog doesn't eat any small children and manages not to traumatise too many small dogs by bouncing off their heads. He has a go at the agility and loves it. He enters the best rescue class in the fun dog show where we wuz robbed by the judges failing to appreciate his myriad charms. Blind, the lot of 'em, especially as he managed not to bite the judge as part of the process.

Then to the display proper. We weren't doing the rally obedience, as we aren't completely mad. Our role was to demonstrate the basic sit, stay, heel etc and show that even completely OTT dogs can be trained. And Gitdog was a star.:A Did everything I asked of him and stayed as focussed as he ever has been.

Ok, he did make a hole in the fence, crapped in the middle of the walking to heel procession, and ran off with a couple of cones but hey, what's a few cones among friends?

Very proud of my boy today. Normal service will undoubtedly be resumed tomorrow.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• oldestgnome
    oldestgnome Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    Gitdog is a legend :T:rotfl:

You should be very proud:D
  • lisajane8482
    lisajane8482 Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Aww that's brilliant so glad that it went well. Give Gitdog a well deserved belly rub from me
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    rofl - he is a star! Do you think he has seen the film Marley and Me? and modelled himself on his favourite film star?
    He did great though! Who'd have thunk it this time last year?
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What drugs did you use? :p
  • elsien
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    Who'd have thunk it this time last year?

That's what I keep telling myself when he's being him. This time last year I wouldn't have taken him to that sort of event with harness, lead, head collar and gaffer tape, and with all his legs tied together.
    Progress may be slow, but it's definitely there.:)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 July 2014 at 7:59PM
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    That's what I keep telling myself when he's being him. This time last year I wouldn't have taken him to that sort of event with harness, lead, head collar and gaffer tape, and with all his legs tied together.
    Progress may be slow, but it's definitely there.:)

You wouldn't want him to be anything else but "him" though... that's why you love him :)

Big strides begin with small steps... ;)
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    I love the adventures of Gitdog. Elsien, you'd be so bored with a well behaved dog.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • elsien
    Options
    pawsies wrote: »
    What drugs did you use? :p

Liver cake and sardine flapjacks!

My house now pongs to high heaven and himself is off his normal food as he'd quite like to have liver cake all the time. We're saving the rest for the next time we need the big guns. :D

• OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2014 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Wooohoooo!!! :j :T

So pleased for you both, you must be doing a really good job with him! :D

2dogsdancing450.gif

Although...... Please don't make him be too well behaved, as we won't have any entertainment then!

ps I couldn't find any dancing EBT's!! ;)
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Clever Gitdog :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income