Spoilt Cake

Options

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow, you have managed to pass through life to get to an an age where you can marry but you were unaware that some things go soft and even melt when they get warm.

Maybe the op is not a baker. But I am not sure I would want what is a essence a victoria sandwich with extra bits in to hold up another 3 tiers of cake.

Hence why wedding cakes are normally fruit cake as it is dense and holds it shape.

Each to there own.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    evherkes wrote: »
    For me I, I would want more than £80 back, as she did not even have the courtesy to make any contact with me after our wedding to even apologise. That is the insult for me, I've given someone my hard earned money and they don't even have the decency to hold their hands up until I contact them and then it's not even a third off to make any amends.

The cake was still edible, you handed over your hard-earned money to someone who made your cake, the manufacture of which incurred costs. The baker has offered you £80 recompense - that seems fair.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact it was ruined, that's a fact and it cannot be undone.

That is the point. Get over it.
  • evherkes
    evherkes Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not a baker that's why I went to what was supposed to be an knowledgable baker to bring my idea to reality. What I expect is honesty, if it's not realistic then tell me the ifs and buts and then work out (together) what can work. I find ssparks2003 sarcasm uncalled for.

Can I just ask that if people want to post on this then they are actually of assistance rather than a passing opinion of me... I posted to ask for advice regarding the response I recieved as I feel that £80 is unacceptable. Just in case I haven't been clear up until this point.

Thanks
    Emily :A
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can I just ask that if people want to post on this then they are actually of assistance rather than a passing opinion of me... I posted to ask for advice regarding the response I recieved as I feel that £80 is unacceptable. Just in case I haven't been clear up until this point.

Thanks

You don't get to choose what replies you get as you have posted on an open forum.

The point I think we are all trying to make is take the £80 and get on with your life.

How much do you want? The cake was served and eaten. So not like it all had to binned. If it was a 4 tier cake at £300 then its £75 a tier and they have offered £80.

Not sure why you are asking on this forum as you already have said the £80 is not enough. As one poster said go back and start a negotiation with the cake maker.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I posted to ask for advice regarding the response I recieved as I feel that £80 is unacceptable. Just in case I haven't been clear up until this point.

Can you send pictures? I feel that we ought to see the damage before commenting further. The picture you paint is a complete disaster...I can hardly believe a company would deliver something so bad it had to be removed from the room. My friend is a baker and they'd probably come clean and say the weather has wrecked it. It makes me think that the cake was fine when delivered and steadily ruined itself at the venue?

If the cake was fine when they left it, surely your beef is with the venue for not having adequate temperature control?
  • evherkes
    evherkes Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I posted the bakers response and she agrees and acknowledges it was spoilt upon her arrival nothing to do with the venue
    Emily :A
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I posted the bakers response and she agrees and acknowledges it was spoilt upon her arrival nothing to do with the venue

Fair enough - can you use a image hosting service to post a picture. It might sway opinion on here and bolster your case. I use photobucket
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    Forget about it OP.

Our wedding cake which was in shape of castle partly fell over during transport. Wife just stuffed it back up best she could and we got on with the day. If anyone was going to say anything we'd have said it was modeled on Riber Castle next to where we got married.

We laugh about it and you will too in future, if you let it go.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    Maybe the op is not a baker. But I am not sure I would want what is a essence a victoria sandwich with extra bits in to hold up another 3 tiers of cake.

Hence why wedding cakes are normally fruit cake as it is dense and holds it shape.

Each to there own.

Yours

Calley
    Wow, you have managed to pass through life to get to an an age where you can marry but you were unaware that some things go soft and even melt when they get warm.

The cake maker ought to have been aware of the possible effect of the weather, especially on white chocolate ganache as that can be soft depending on how it's made, and how to build a cake which stands up to the weight of the tiers above (I'm not sure I'd trust even a fruit cake with 3 tiers above it without dowels/other support. One tier maybe - but the frosting is also a concern and for this reason I'd likely use dowels regardless).

4 tiers in total is quite a large cake... how many servings was it? Did it taste okay? Do you have anything in writing regarding the flavour that seems to have been changed?

Definitely take the other posters advice on not letting this affect your memory of your wedding or spoil the start of your marriage, but I do understand it's a dissapointment :sad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure