PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Water pressure .....

Options
At check in my tenant pointed out when more than one tap runs the flow slows. I explained that was because the system is pulling water from the source and there's only so much pressure.
8 weeks in and there has been a complaint that this 'issue' still exists as when she has the washing machine on the flow of the shower is reduced. I have contacted the water company and they tell me this is the norm. What can I do?

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who is paying the water bill? If it is the tenant then the tenant needs to take this up with the water company supplying their water and ask for a higher pressure.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course the flow is reduced - the washing machine is taking water from the same source. Tell her not to shower when the washing machine's on.
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • gillybean129
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the pressure, it's just common sense but she seems to think it's my fault
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the pressure, it's just common sense but she seems to think it's my fault
    sadly you have one of "those" tenants

- tell her to move back in with her parents and get some life experience before trying to launch?

- put in writing an explanation of how water systems work and that the LL's responsibility is to do what you have done, provide a system for washing and drinking. The rest is a function of life and location.

- tell her that the "compensation culture" she has been brought up in does have common sense limits so she should jog off?

- tell her to get a boyfriend who can fill in the obvious gaps in her practical knowledge?
  • gillybean129
    Options
    Sadly it appears so, however she's not the stereotypical one you describe but a highly educated Phd so whom you think would know better, alas not!
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    Water companies have to provide a certain minimum pressure (which is low and not generally going to be a target they don't hit), in parts of the country you struggle to get some washing machines to fill the pressure is so low they auto shut off!
    The only way to increase the pressure would be a header tank in the loft to provide a reserve, and if necessary a pump with flow switch to increase the pressure when taps open / machine fills.
    I would suggest tenant is given a quote of £1350+ vat to fit these and increase water flow when showering with washing machine on and see if she reconsiders.
  • itchyfeet123
    Options
    Has the tenant come from abroad? Some features of British housing that locals think of as a normal are considered a defect if you've come from, say, the States. Insufficient water pressure is one; having to open windows in winter to avoid condensation is another.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    booksurr wrote: »
    sadly you have one of "those" tenants

[STRIKE]- tell her to move back in with her parents and get some life experience before trying to launch?[/STRIKE]

- put in writing an explanation of how water systems work and that the LL's responsibility is to do what you have done, provide a system for washing and drinking. [STRIKE]The rest is a function of life and location.

- tell her that the "compensation culture" she has been brought up in does have common sense limits so she should jog off?

- tell her to get a boyfriend who can fill in the obvious gaps in her practical knowledge?[/STRIKE]
    This (as amended!).

A friendly polite explanatory letter. Perhaps provide her with the phone number of the water company she is buying her water from and suggest she calls?

then ignore.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    a highly educated Phd so whom you think would know better, alas not!

A PhD provides absolutely no qualification in anything approaching real life.

It's possible the main stopcock isn't fully open or there is some other valve reducing the flow. Or the plumbing in the house may be badly designed.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    This (as amended!).
    spoil sport :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income