After 3 Years I Checked My File Today

Options
To see 4 defaults & 1 CCJ

Now im not going to panick or fly off the handle just yet, as im pretty sure MANY other people have been in FAR WORSE situations than this right now.

Im going to keep it short and sweet.

How can I rectify these defaults and this CCJ in the speediest, most efficient way?

At least 2 of the defaults I dont even know of (so thats a case in itself where ive been in contact with them direct through e-mail and they keep requesting me to confirm my personal information before providing me with anything.... but i saw a youtube video where it said to not claim ownership, otherwise you are claiming the debt/sum)

The CCJ is for £4,000

By what I can see on the face of it, i wont be getting a mortgage any time soon (I would say mid 30's now because of this whole revelation) and it has kind of stunned me the last 7 hours of me checking it...

I welcome all -

Thank you,

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Are these debts actually yours or not?
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can contact them with your details just fine; that doesn't mean you've acknowledged the debt. If you want peace of mind, you can add to the letter that by contacting them you do not acknowledge debt in any way shape or form.
    They need this confirmation of who you are before they can discuss anything for your protection, as I imagine you wouldn't want them to give out those details to anyone, would you?

But indeed before going any further than that the big question is, do you owe the money?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dranzer01 wrote: »
    To see 4 defaults & 1 CCJ

Now im not going to panick or fly off the handle just yet, as im pretty sure MANY other people have been in FAR WORSE situations than this right now. Undoubtedly so.

Im going to keep it short and sweet.

How can I rectify these defaults and this CCJ in the speediest, most efficient way?
    If the defaults are genuine then there is little chance that these will be removed. You may be able to ask this as a gesture of goodwill but it will very much depend on circumstances and is unlikely if you have just been ignoring the communication from companies that you owe money to. The time to challenge a CCJ is before it goes to court (ie when you get the summons) Sorting it afterwards, even if you have a defence, is both expensive and time consuming.

At least 2 of the defaults I dont even know of (so thats a case in itself where ive been in contact with them direct through e-mail and they keep requesting me to confirm my personal information before providing me with anything.... but i saw a youtube video where it said to not claim ownership, otherwise you are claiming the debt/sum)
    If you do not confirm your identity the companies cannot deal with you. I suggest that email (and telephone) are not the best methods of communication. Communicate by letter. You are unlikely to improve your situation if your source of advice is youtube.

The CCJ is for £4,000 For what? Is the debt yours?

By what I can see on the face of it, i wont be getting a mortgage any time soon (I would say mid 30's now because of this whole revelation) and it has kind of stunned me the last 7 hours of me checking it...

I welcome all -

Thank you,

The older the defaults are the less of a negative impact they will have on your standing. A CCJ is the bigger problem in respect of a mortgage application. Both look better if settled but, of course, that depends on whether these are actually your debts or not - you have not stated one way or the other.
  • dranzer01
    Options
    to confirm, these are all my debts (apart from the two i said i didnt recognise)

you could say it was my fault as i never really check/checked my credit file... (is it/is there even an obligation to?)

what is the best methodology wording to use (in other words/terms of pleading ignorance?)

fair enough i can pay them off with a plan or something like that... but i would want indefinite confirmation they will drop off as soon as all have been cleared...

so that would be my standing on it as of now -
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They will stick for six years, whether you pay them or not. The benefit of paying them off is that they will show as settled, and the ones that are just debts will not go down the CCJ route, which is good as CCJ would count from issue date for six years.

Sadly there is no magical solution in case that those are your debts, just call the debtors and negotiate. If your file is screwed for next X years anyway, maybe you can negotiate to pay less than you owe. Or maybe some will agree to remove the default if you will pay. But do not plead ignorance, do not give them excuses, they are wise to all that and, honestly do not care. Instead say as it is, that you want to cut a deal and pay all the debts, but would also want some breaks for it. And see what they will offer, they usually will as this is cheaper for them than chasing you for the money.
  • Caladan
    Caladan Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dranzer01 wrote: »
    to confirm, these are all my debts (apart from the two i said i didnt recognise)

you could say it was my fault as i never really check/checked my credit file... (is it/is there even an obligation to?)

what is the best methodology wording to use (in other words/terms of pleading ignorance?)

fair enough i can pay them off with a plan or something like that... but i would want indefinite confirmation they will drop off as soon as all have been cleared...

so that would be my standing on it as of now -

I'm sorry Dranzer, but I'm going to be harsh here.

You're saying you do owe the money - So the credit report is completely accurate. You then say you've heard you should deny the debt belongs to you (and by implication wonder if it's a good idea)? - I'm not sure you'll get much sympathy for that here. These forums are populated by people who are happy to play the system according to its own rules, but cheating it is a different matter.

Still, in fairness, your main question is about how best to sort this out - Arleen has pretty much answered it perfectly but I'd add that since your credit history is pretty messed up now anyway then not only should you pay off the debts (or seek settlements) and then bunker down for the wait for it to stop being an issue, you should ALSO start saving as much as you possibly can every month.

Assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) you would like to apply for a Mortgage in the future - Saving every spare penny month on month whilst this clears up will not only show you are a responsible person who can budget well, it will also help you build up a larger deposit leading to lower interest rates and higher likelihood of acceptance when you get round to making the application.

Regards,
    Cal
  • dranzer01
    Options
    lovely advice caladan.... very very much appreciated!

Before i get on the blower to these companies starting from monday, i dont want to feel like a numpty; so is there a rough sentence/template i should say with regards to asking/imploring with them to take off the defaults/set up a payment plan and mentioning a formal letter for them to sign regarding notice of correction...?

Thanks again,
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just ask if the defaults will be removed once the debt has been paid, no harm in asking is there, they aren't obliged to do so though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure