MBNA lies

Options
I have 10 MBNA credit cards. Before the credit crunch I just kept applying for them and they kept sending me new ones without question. I just did it for a laugh really with no malice in mind!
5 have a credit limit of £500 and the other 5 have a credit limit of £1000.
I use each one every month for small purchases and pay them off in full immediately. I have never defaulted on a payment on any of them. I have never been bankrupt or have CCJs etc either.
This week MBNA have sent me 3 seperate letters concerning 3 of the £500 cards saying 'Thanks for letting us know you've decided to close your account. We're sorry you're leaving us.'
I have NEVER spoken to anyone at MBNA for years! I did not want these accounts closed.
So this morning another letter arrives concerning one of my cards with a £1000 credit limit saying 'Following your request to have your credit line increased we are pleased to inform you that your new credit limit is £4000. Further to our conversation we've now taken steps, as requested, to close the following credit card accounts...' (i.e the other 3 above above accounts that they have closed without my permission).
Like I say I have not give them permission to do ANYTHING and I do not appreciate the lies.
Do I have the right to request that that they supply me details of our so called 'conversation'?
What are my rights here please anybody?

Many thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contact them and ask them your questions.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Phone them and ask.

It’s likely they’re reviewing your accounts and closing any dormant unused cards.

I guess you’re using the one with the £1000 limit on it and that’s why they’re increasing it.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Let them close the cards. There's no value to having ten low limit cards, it's not going to improve your credit file.

The letters sound like an admin error, they meant to send one saying they have reviewed your accounts and adjusted your limits. No harm done.
  • yoshka123
    Options
    Thanks. I do use all 10 cards every months with small amounts to keep them active.
    What annoys me is that MBNA have lied saying that I have discussed this with them. Not very ethical like!
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yoshka123 wrote: »
    Thanks. I do use all 10 cards every months with small amounts to keep them active.
    What annoys me is that MBNA have lied saying that I have discussed this with them. Not very ethical like!

You need to learn to differentiate between a lie and an admin error.
  • SainsburysAnonymous
    Options
    I have 10 MBNA credit cards

You might want to do something with that.

:naughty:
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whatever the argument, it probably makes sense to merge them.

As for MBNA's integrity, any further comment by me would head in the direction that even one MBNA card is too many.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree a merger of some of the cards would make sense as it must be costing a small fortune to post out statements on each account where there are only a few small transactions.

I am surprised they have not closed more of them to be honest.

Why not try for some more cards within Lloyds banking group? such as Lloyds Bank, Halifax etc?
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Whatever the argument, it probably makes sense to merge them.

As for MBNA's integrity, any further comment by me would head in the direction that even one MBNA card is too many.
    I presume you've had problems? We've had ours since it was Virgin and have had no problems at all. There are permanent MT's and BT's on it (4% and 3.5% respectively), which has come in handy over the years.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    yoshka123 wrote: »
    I just did it for a laugh really with no malice in mind!

Actually it does sound a bit malicious to me - applying for endless cards "for a laugh" when there are real costs and risks for a lender in operating these needless accounts. To be fair, I suppose they could have declined later applications. Perhaps it's some sort of poetic justice if they are now "without malice" closing your accounts and upsetting you in the process by accidentally sending you the wrong standard letter - and giving us a laugh on the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure