Avro, Green Star or other options?

Options
doveman
doveman Posts: 188 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My First Utility fixed ends on 31 May and I'm currently paying about £523/year for 2500kWh Electric and 5100kWh Gas.

Doesn't look like there's any great deals available at the moment unfortunately. The best I've found is Avro fixed 12 months for £599/year or Green Star Energy fixed 12 months for £615.40. The only reason I'm considering Green Star is I can get £51 cashback via Topcashback/Lumo comparison site, which brings it down to £564.

Green Star does have a £30 exit fee per fuel whilst Avro has none but I doubt I'd have any reason to want to switch within 12 months anyway, it's only when signing up to 2-3 year fixed deals that I'd be concerned about exit fees.

For Avro the MSE Customer Service Rating is 75% Great, 20% Okay, 5% Poor (71 votes)

and for Green Star is 56% Great, 23% Okay, 21% Poor (39 votes)

So I guess I should just go with Avro even if it costs me an extra £30/year just to avoid having to deal with poor customer service if there's any problems but I just wanted to ask whether there's anything else I should consider before switching?

Comments

• MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    doveman wrote: »
    My First Utility fixed ends on 31 May and I'm currently paying about £523/year for 2500kWh Electric and 5100kWh Gas.

Doesn't look like there's any great deals available at the moment unfortunately. The best I've found is Avro fixed 12 months for £599/year or Green Star Energy fixed 12 months for £615.40. The only reason I'm considering Green Star is I can get £51 cashback via Topcashback/Lumo comparison site, which brings it down to £564.

Green Star does have a £30 exit fee per fuel whilst Avro has none but I doubt I'd have any reason to want to switch within 12 months anyway, it's only when signing up to 2-3 year fixed deals that I'd be concerned about exit fees.

For Avro the MSE Customer Service Rating is 75% Great, 20% Okay, 5% Poor (71 votes)

So I guess I should just go with Avro even if it costs me an extra £30/year just to avoid having to deal with poor customer service if there's any problems but I just wanted to ask whether there's anything else I should consider before switching?

If there cancellation process is anything to go by avoid Green Star and I speak from experience.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    doveman wrote: »

MSE Martin says do not consider possible cashback when making your decision.
    Such cashback is only guaranteed when it lans in your bank account
    (and in my recent experience, when it is TCB involved, it probably won't even track :()

Unfortunately you do not provide your supply region, but for the London region the cheapest dual fuel deal currently would only cost you £529.04 for your consumption.

By contrast, Avro is 6th down the list at £572.86
    And Green Star is 10th at £583.83

If you were to look at seperate suppliers, you could even get the annual cost down to £513.22, so worth checking out.
  • doveman
    doveman Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still haven't got round to switching and really need to sort it out. Things have changed a bit since I last checked. I'm in the Seeboard region by the way.

Currently MSE Energy Club show EON as the cheapest option with a reasonable amount of feedback at £589/year, rated at 53% Great, 32% Okay, 15% Poor (423 votes).

I can get the same tarrif via Topcashback/Lumo though and get £51 cashback rather than £30 via MSE, making it £538/year. I know neither is guaranteed but I've never had any problems with TCB personally.

Looking at separate suppliers, EON seems the best option for Electric at £368. So Energy is interesting at £386 and only £5 exit fee rather than £30 and the feedback is better than EON but with only about 10% of the votes - 88% Great, 10% Okay, 2% Poor (49 votes). As I can't imagine wanting to switch in less than a year I think I'm better off with the cheaper EON.

For Gas, Zog Energy is £190 and rated 96% Great, 4% Okay, 0% Poor (102 votes). For £17 more I could get a 2 year fix instead of 1 from Better Energy at £207, rated 55% Great, 27% Okay, 18% Poor (11 votes), which is comparable to EON's feedback (albeit with a lot less votes).

So the cheapest separate deals totals £368+£190=£558 or the 2-year fix Gas/1-year fixed Electric is £368+£207=£575. The only cashback for either would be £15 for EON, making it £543 or £560.

Compared to the £538 I'd pay switching both utilities to EON via TCB/Lumo there's not a lot in it and I think it's probably worth paying an extra £22 for having the Gas fixed for 2-years but I'd appreciate your thoughts as I find it hard to take all this information in and make a decision. I can't imagine Gas getting cheaper within 2-years, or indeed ever as utilities never seem to go down but maybe someone knows something I don't.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been with AVRO for over a year with no problems. But they do take the first DD some time before the supply starts which does not suit some customers who may have overlooked this. In my case the credit balance at the end of the first year which was just under the value of the first DD was not considered when the second years DD was calculated, IE they seem to keep the first DD amount in hand.
    I have also seen a complaint that if you are on Economy 7 they just use a single rate but this should be obvious from the rates they quote and for me this still was a good deal and cheaper than most of the suppliers that have two distinct rates for Economy 7.
    They also use monthly billing and send out email reminders when readings are required so I have no idea of how good their estimated bills are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure