Vegan and gluten free hamper, what can I add?

Options
I would like to bulk out the expensive items a bit and thought of sweet cones with different nuts but am stuck beyond that! Friend isn't strict vegan but strict on now cow/pig and also has to be gluten free. Any suggestions? Thanks:j
Best wins in 2013 £200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with £300 vouchers plus £1150 Harrods gift card
Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most supermarkets have a free from and a vegan range. Have a look online at their offerings.
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You can buy gluten free liquorice if that's any help.

Oh how about popcorn.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A bottle of lemon juice, and an assortment of spices?

ETA Popcorn sounds brilliant!
  • Lilyjade
    Lilyjade Posts: 85 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2016 at 8:06PM
    Options
    M&S do veggie percy pigs and several other sweets that are also gluten free and their labels are clear and show if the product is ok for veggie and gluten free.

Some crisps are vegan and gluten free - seabooks lattices for example say GF on the packet. Peckish rice crips are also ok for veggie and GF

Oh and be careful with nuts most sold in supermarkets are not GF! Holland and Barrets nuts are usually ok though.

Just remembered that primark often sell bags of coconut flakes in chocolate flavour coating that are both GF and vegan.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There are lots of 70% chocolates that are vegan and GF. Look out for little packs of two gorgeous Booja Booja chocs ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Home made lemonade?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Most supermarkets sell packets of small (usually square) rice cakes, coated on one side with dark chocolate. My Mum (who had coeliac disease and therefore was gluten free) loved them.

If you're up for making something - Jamie Oliver has a recipe for dairy-free chocolate truffles on his website.

Good luck.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lemon cello takes a few weeks to make.

Some kind of jam?

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • blackicerose
    Options
    I can't eat gluten or dairy so a few things I would suggest are dark chocolate (check the back though, some aren't suitable for milk allergy sufferers, so wouldn't be suitable for your friend), and anything from the Nakd range (I bought a bag of Cocoa Delights from Poundland the other day and they are yummy!). Sainsburys Freefrom range is very good too, you can pick up nice shortbread from them and other little biscuits and snacks.

You could also add rice cakes, mixed fruit and nuts, Seabrooks crisps as someone mentioned above, Burts also do some GF crisps, and Home Bargains do GF gummy sweets.
    Latest wins:
  • juliesname
    Options
    Dried/crystallized fruit? Eg dates, figs, kids' lunch box raisins? Just watch out for 'sugar substitutes' like glucose-fructose syrup as some are wheat-derived - in theory the processing reduces the gluten to permitted levels but if someone is very sensitive those can be a problem.

Would fresh fruit be suitable for your hamper?

Julie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport