How do I get through to the right people...

Options
Afternoon everyone,

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong thread, I’ll cut a long story short...

I was scammed for £1000 in June (bank transfer to receive goods I never received), the police got involved and froze his bank account (Santander) and said I can claim but I have to go through my bank, HSBC. I did so although it took 3 different phone calls because no one knew what to do, one member of staff even said they don’t do a reimbursement service which really annoyed me.

So eventually the claim was sent and I was told I’d hear an update in 3 weeks... 6 weeks later I’ve heard nothing, HSBC said it’s still pending and Santander said they haven’t received anything at all. And because I’m doing it with two different banks it seems impossible to get an answer.

Does anyone know how I can get through to someone that doesn’t follow a script? I’ve been told I can have my money back but the banks don’t seem to want to cooperate.

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Who told you that you can have your money back?
    :p
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HSBC have to ask Santander to investigate. If theres no money in the Santander account you have no chance of getting your money back. The person receiving the money also has to agree to refund you, is this likely ?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    HSBC have to ask Santander to investigate. If theres no money in the Santander account you have no chance of getting your money back. The person receiving the money also has to agree to refund you, is this likely ?

I think you have misunderstood the OP's problem - you are describing what happens when there is an accidental misposting. Here the OP has been scammed and there is a fraud.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • radoslaff
    Options
    I don't know about Santander but I know how HSBC handle problems. If they say it's pending this can mean only one thing. Your file is collecting dust (or mould) in the darkest corner of their darkest cellar. Nothing was ever submitted to Santander and it will probably take forever before somebody ever moves their finger if at all. Writing an official complaint will raise your odds ... though I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for their actions. I suggest that you adopt Andy Dufresne's strategy - send them the same complaint every week (or even more often if you like) until they get fed up and decide to pay you some attention.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    radoslaff wrote: »
    I suggest that you adopt Andy Dufresne's strategy - send them the same complaint every week (or even more often if you like) until they get fed up and decide to pay you some attention.
    :rotfl:
    And then once you've got the money back, keep writing to them asking for even more?
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    OP.....Keep complaining, moaning until you get compensation.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have to say that it's still not clear to me on whose authority the money would be returned from Santander via HSBC to OP in the above scenario, as I thought that funds would only be recoverable via a court ordering the alleged miscreant to repay the sender?

I also wasn't aware of police being authorised to freeze someone's account in these circumstances - how could they make a judgement call about the facts of the case?

Happy to be proved wrong if applicable but I'd tend to side with the HSBC employee who said that they don't offer a reimbursement service!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure