PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Subletting Fees, and information required by freeholder

Options
Hi,

I have been asked to pay fees for renting my flat (over £200). I have paid this, though may dispute it through first tier tribunal (does anyone have experience of whether this is worth the effort?).

The freeholder also wants my tenants name and the start date of the tenancy (I suspect this is so they can try and charge me annually). Is this a reasonable request? It does not mention this anywhere in the lease, only that consent cannot be unreasonably withheld. I am concerned that if I pass names to the freeholder, I am technically in breach of the data protection act.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 June 2017 at 12:34PM
    Options
    I think you are right about data protection.

Send them a copy of the tenancy agreement (so thay can see it is an AST, not some other form of tenancy or lease) but with the dates, names and other variables retracted.

Just my suggestion, but I've no direct experience of letting leasehold properties or dealing with freeholders on this.

See www.lease-advice.org

http://www.lease-advice.org/advice/find-the-right-information-for-you/?step-option=61
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SonnyH wrote: »
    The freeholder also wants my tenants name and the start date of the tenancy (I suspect this is so they can try and charge me annually). Is this a reasonable request? It does not mention this anywhere in the lease, only that consent cannot be unreasonably withheld. I am concerned that if I pass names to the freeholder, I am technically in breach of the data protection act.

In general, you should check the terms of the lease, and make sure that anything relevant is reflected in the AST.

e.g. If the lease requires you to give a tenant's name and start date to the freeholder, you make it a condition in the AST that the tenant agrees to this.

But since it doesn't specifically say that in your lease, you have to decide whether your freeholder's requirement is 'reasonable'.

As a starting point, you could ask the freeholder why they need a name and start date - that may help you decide whether the request is 'reasonable'.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    In general, you should check the terms of the lease, and make sure that anything relevant is reflected in the AST.
    That is a good (if separate) issue. Many leases include terms which apply eg (top of head)
    * not to hang washing outside
    * no pets
    * no noise after 10.pm
    * etc

Since you, as leaseholder, are bound by the terms you need to bind your tenant to the same terms in your tenancy agreement.

Insurance too - if your insurance policy has conditions (eg not to leave the property unoccupied for more than 30, 45 etc days, this needs to go into the TA or your insurance could be invalid.

Sorry - back on topic now folks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport