PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 8th January 2018

Options
Valli
Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 11 January 2018 at 11:06PM in Old style MoneySaving

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Blitz those bathrooms

Level 1

Throw the windows open wide in your bathrooms, en-suites and cloakrooms
Remove any rubbish from these rooms
Flush loos and fling down some cream cleaner or loo cleaner
Clear all the gibble from round the bath and out of showers
Scrub bath and/or shower tray
Wipe down edge of bath, panels and shower screens
Wipe switches and sockets
Check lighting is all working and not acting as fly cemetry - clean out if so
Remove plugs and clean them, too including underneath; clear any traps

Level 2

Now the loo has had a soak scrub it out - don't forget under the rim
Wipe all cistern, handles/buttons, outside of loo, seat and lid
Flush loo and pour bleach round bowl
Close lid
Wipe toilet toll holder
Check spare toilet roll stock has not mysteriously vanished

Level 3

Wipe sills and shelves
Wipe soap bottles
Polish towel rails
clean out sink and polish taps
Bleach down all drains and in all overflows
Check for cobwebs in corners
Sweep, wipe or vacuum floor as appropriate
Put out fresh towels
Dirty towels into the WM for a HOT wash

Extras

S&S kitchen
Check smoke alarms are fully-functional
HHI
Mad half hour - if you're a H2H or a Flymarketeer use this time for that!

Tuesday Twinkles Living room

Level1

Empty out any rubbish
Clear and clean coffee table
Rehome anything which is out of place
Wipe coasters
Deal with any flowers/water & wipe plants
Clear out fire/woodburner
Get a just-damp cloth and wipe switches, sockets and places where sticky fingers linger

Level 2

Dust and polish any wooden furniture or just dust
Check corners for cobwebs/spiders and remove
Dust skirting boards
Wipe handles/sockets/switches
Dust electricals

Level 3

Lift chair/sofa cushions and vacuum under them - check for escaped baubles
Wipe leather furniture/vacuum sofas
Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
clean window in lounge
MAD half hour - only half an hour - this is a nibble not a mouthful! Challenge time for challengers!
HHI
Binbag fling - grab a bin bag, run around the house and fill it with gibble and CHUCK IT OUT

Wonderful Wednesday Boudoir beckons!

Level one

Open the window
Strip the bed
Fling the sheets in the washbasket
Go and get your breakfast/kids off to school etc

level 2

Close the window (like you haven't already)
Dust the headboard or vacuum as appropriate
remake the bed
Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe or any other clutter
(see - looks better already)

Dust all horizontal surfaces - vertical too, if you have time
Polish any mirrors

Level Three
Clean the windows
Vacuum the floor
Make sure bedside cabinets are clear of clutter

Extras

If you need to keep meds upstairs (eg asthma inhalers) make sure they are in date and ready for use
HHI - don't let it build up
MAD half hour - use it for your challenges or sort a drawer in the bedroom

Thrilling Thursday

Hall, stairs, landing

Level one

Beat, vacuum or wash doormats
Clean windows and mirrors
Check corners and crevices - deweb!
Put away summer coats/anything not currently in use

Level two
Dust, wipe or polish banisters and rails
Clear out detritus
Vacuum all floors or mop inc stairs
Shift the shoe pile - put away anything not being worn

Level 3
Wash down front door inside and out
Dust any furniture in these rooms
Clean light fittings inc. wiping bulbs with a damp cloth - see how much brighter they are

Extras
Check smoke alarms; CO alarms
HHI
MAD half hour
CHALLENGES - how are you doing?
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
shops selling 'spring cleaning' stuff on offer - do you need anything?

Friday Flight _ Kitchen and Dining Room

Kitchen and Dining room

Level One

Change table cloth/wipe table mats
Polish/wipe table and chairs
Empty bins and wash them out
Clear sides and wipe down sides and tiles
Clean all appliances you keep out

Level 2
Clean cupboard fronts and wipe handles
Wipe sockets and switches with a just-damp cloth
Dust in dining room

Level 3

Clean and clear utility
Clear sills and wipe
Put out new or clean cloths and tea towels
Mop/sweep/vacuum floor

Extras

S&S bathroom
Update your list of herbs and spices handily stuck inside the cupboard door so you know what you’ve got in stock somewhere. Check all are (reasonably) in date, too.
Choose a cupboard to clear and clean
HHI - get that mountain down
MAD half hour
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• Valli
    edited 10 January 2018 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Please shout out if I have this wrong...they're a bit like Topsy. I've skimmed last weeks thread for info (280+ posts)

SLINKIES - weight loss challenge

Lynnejk - 9lb
    Narcolepsy *some*
    Valli 2st/28lb
    Dizzy Imp 2st/28lb
    FurryBeastOz 2st/28lb
    nannygladys 3st/42lb
    Fayolle 2st/28lb
    atypicalblonde 2st/28lb
    Princess Money Penny
    Ionafan
    Lil_me 5st/70lb
    JojotheTightfisted
    LameWolf 2st/28lb
    Roundtuit 56lb
    Jazee 2st/28lb
    Pigpen *some*
    MrsMoneypenny 1st at least
    Froddington 2st
    Dancemum 3st
    Mademoiselle about 2 st
    Ionafan 1st 11lb
    donnajt 3 st
    Rosemary7391
    Mrs Chaos 16lb
    Faete 2st

Flymarketeers

FurryBeastOz
    Pigpen
    Valli
    Mumof2
    donnjt - £1k for hols

H2H
    (hovel to haven)

HoneyBear
    Froddington
    Roundtuit
    Mumof2
    FurryBeastOz
    funfairprincess
    Mrs Moneypenny
    hex2
    Fayolle
    lynnejk
    riotlady
    donnajt - by Summer
    Mrs Chaos
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for the list Valli and for last week's Natty.

Valli, this is a stinker for me as I HATE doing the bathroom with a vengeance so well done for making me do it first thing and getting it out of the way!!

Please can you put me down for H2H (as much as I can do bearing in mind my restrictions as on other thread, i.e. J serial hoarder) and also for Flymarketeer.
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the list Valli.

See you all tomorrow.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 8:07PM
    Options
    I can't do any kind of flinging for at least another 2-3 weeks as I have no bin space.. we are still getting rid of the Christmas gibble.

I have a naked tree in my front room, 2 binbags of rubbish in my middle room and lots of flat boxes in the hallway.. my house is full of detritus.. it is horrid!!!

This week my life is too exciting...

Monday.. DD2 heading back to uni :( .. OH back to college, beastlies back to school/college. I need to order part of my ebay basket. Post parcels x 3, collect prescriptions, hopefully get bank statement. Take glasses to be fixed.
    Tuesday.. bills to pay and swimming lessons, and a couple of bins to fill up!!YAY!!
    Wednesday.. OH going to the gym after dropping off the beastlies.. then to work.. he would be at college if he didn't go to the gym so it makes no difference to me.
    Thursday.. I have to rejig the Friday payment plan.. make sure everything is covered.
    Friday.. Nails, council appointment and bills

I might get something useful and productive done this week!... MIGHT!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Hi Valli my Slinky challenge is 2 stone xx

Thanks for the listies, watching dancing on ice now and DH cooking dinner. He was a prat earlier so it’s the least he can do! See you tomorrow x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Valli
    Options
    Casserole cooked (and a portion eaten) made with YS from M&S casserole steak - lovely and tender. Also cooked little potatoes in their skins in with it so that it's a one-pot dish and DD can microwave it when she comes in. Apple pie made with ancient cooked apple from freezer (2015!) and shortcrust pastry (couldn't find date but no freezer burn so fine).
    This has given me freezer space. Next on my hit list is the ice cream - I don't like it that much anyway so if the Vallikids aren't going to eat it it can go. And there are a couple of frangipane and blueberry tarts to eat/chuck too.
    I've made DS's bed; cat's back on there now. Ironing to put away, more to do.

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the threads as always, Natty and Valli, and for including the Challenge Post. Glad you're joining us Mumof2.

I'm defo in this week.
    Better is good enough.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Evening all, thank you for your support In week 1, I've already achieved more than I would have done without you.

This week my main task will be to find the upstairs of my house. Pickle's old wardrobe has been dismantled, the new one arrives on Tuesday and then I'll need to put things back away. I will obviously use it as an opportunity to have a bit of a clear out.

I've got 1 day of work booked in for this week (Tuesday) but could get a phonecall from the supply agency to work Tuesday and/or Thursday and/or Friday.

If I have 1 free day I'll be tackling 3 of the jobs on my monthly to do list:
    New ynab categories
    Lesson planning for supply work
    Safeguarding policy review for church.

If I have 2 free days this week I will also tackle another monthly job - sort, declutter and deep clean the front room.

This is all in addition to my daily journal jobs.

Have a good week all.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm in this week. I feel much better now. DH will be going back to work tomorrow but kids aren't back to school until Tuesday. Ah well, just one more day...

Need to catch up on the news - I've skimmed through, but not remembered much. Brain feels heavy and thick and I am a teensy bit exhausted, but I will rise up to the challenge of flying....tomorrow...

My Slinky target is also two stones. Starting now as I have made zero effort while I've felt poorly.

Bye for now!
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been a bit of a cheat and done a few bits for tomorrow today as know I'll be busy .... riding then taking my friend to local shopping centre as she can't drive right now (been in hospital 4 months and car no MOT) then will have to work. I've taken off what I've done.

Marvellous Monday - Blitz those bathrooms

Level 1

Throw the windows open wide in your bathrooms, en-suites and cloakrooms
    Remove any rubbish from these rooms
    Scrub shower tray
    Wipe down shower screens

Level 2
    Wipe toilet toll holder
    Check spare toilet roll stock has not mysteriously vanished

Level 3

Wipe sills and shelves