PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling / sold house need some legal advice

Options

Comments

• PersianCatLady
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    Yep, that's correct.

Thank you for clarifying that.

May I ask, what is to stop a tenant from saying that they didn't receive a S21 or received it much later than they did?

(I know I sound stupid but I genuinely want to understand this issue once and for all because you won't believe the number of times that this would have been useful to know)
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    and it is due to them and a few people here that lets Me know the S21 is most likely invalid
    What do you mean by 'most likely'? If I were you, I would want to be sure considering the risk you want to take going to court.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying that.

May I ask, what is to stop a tenant from saying that they didn't receive a S21 or received it much later than they did?

(I know I sound stupid but I genuinely want to understand this issue once and for all because you won't believe the number of times that this would have been useful to know)

Notice is considered served 2 days after posting if using 1st class post.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You ask for proof of posting at the post office when sending the letter. It is then legally defined as served two days later (1st class).
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    You ask for proof of posting at the post office when sending the letter. It is then legally defined as served two days later (1st class).

Thanks Slithery.

So, in this case if the S21 had stated the "leaving date" as 7 March then it would be valid??
  • Slithery
    Options
    Yes, I believe so.
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Yes, I believe so.

Thanks, again.

You would have thought that even if a LL didn't know the importance of getting the S21 correct, then the LA would.
  • Slithery
    Options
    You would have thought that even if a LL didn't know the importance of getting the S21 correct, then the LA would.

No, you really wouldn't. You're assuming that LA's have some sort of training/qualifications but this isn't the case, you need absolutely no qualifications to become an LA, all responsibility falls on the landlord.
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    But if you needed the tenant to move out so your sale could go ahead....

Good point there.

I think I would offer the tenant a decent sum for the kitchen (enough for a deposit on a new place) and then I would return their deposit in full after they had vacated the property.
  • Keto_Plastics
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'most likely'? If I were you, I would want to be sure considering the risk you want to take going to court.

From what I know and from what people have said here it is definitely 100% invalid
    I stated most likely because who knows what the judge will say on the day of court, they might think otherwise
    I doubt they will say it is valid but who knows stranger things have happened
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure