Iweb, some advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    You can enter a purchase of the whole amount in your account, if you wish. The £5 fee will be taken out of that figure and the whole of the rest will be used to purchase the fund you want, leaving you with £0.00 in your account and a purchased number of units in the fund which will be a figure to a number of decimal places, e.g. 123.4567 units.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't calculate the precise number (though you can specify one if you wish), as the funds are forward priced, so you don't know the exact price per unit, and with shares etc. the price is live, whereas the guide price you can see beforehand is delayed by 15 minutes.

With a fund you will get the whole amount (less £5) invested, with shares, ITs etc that trade in whole units, you can still specify the whole amount, and you will be be left with a small amount of change after buying as many shares as possible with the specified amount.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • LastbutFast
    LastbutFast Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Eco Miser. I bought the fund I had selected this morning. The order was accepted and a Order Reference number was given to me during the process, which I have recorded. I wonder if anyone can give me an idea when the details will appear in my s&s account? At the moment there is no detail, not even the Order Reference available but the payment has gone through. Sorry if this is another beginners naive question but would appreciate advice.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Eco Miser. I bought the fund I had selected this morning. The order was accepted and a Order Reference number was given to me during the process, which I have recorded. I wonder if anyone can give me an idea when the details will appear in my s&s account? At the moment there is no detail, not even the Order Reference available but the payment has gone through. Sorry if this is another beginners naive question but would appreciate advice.

It should appear online in your account in about 3 days time, but will probably be dated as tomorrow. It depends what time you submit your 'buy' request, what time IWEB submits all the requests to the fund manager, and at what time the particular fund is priced.

My experience shows typically 3 days (excluding weekends) from me pressing 'buy' to being able to see the fund online.
  • LastbutFast
    Options
    Thanks badger09, especially for your patience with the anxious ramblings of a newbie investor. I am looking forward to completion of this exercise and putting on it the backburner, for say, the next 10 years. I can get then get back to enjoying this retirement lark!
    I just want to say how helpful I find this forum and thanks to all contributors.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks badger09, especially for your patience with the anxious ramblings of a newbie investor. I am looking forward to completion of this exercise and putting on it the backburner, for say, the next 10 years. I can get then get back to enjoying this retirement lark!
    I just want to say how helpful I find this forum and thanks to all contributors.

You're very welcome. We all had to start somewhere. I started investing in earnest only a few years ago in my early 60s:o It is so easy to become overwhelmed by the massive amount of information available, and I personally suffer from 'paralysis by analysis'. At least you've overcome that:)

This forum is incredibly useful, and it doesn't take long to weed out the less than helpful suggestions that are sometimes made, and to get a feel for which posters you can trust on various aspects of your finances.

I find the ongoing learning process to be fascinating, if time consuming. But then, what is retirement for if we can't choose how we spend some of our time:T
  • LastbutFast
    Options
    I totally agree with the sentiment of your last sentence badger09
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts