PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House price

Options
So we are looking at a new build priced at 244k the exact same style sold in March 2015 for £195k according to the nationwide house price calculator this house would now be worth £200k..... I am tempted to post a letter through the door asking the current owners if they got discount etc and also using this price as some ammo for negotiating the price of a new build.

Does anyone know if these kind of calculators are anywhere near accurate, I had to put in the region if the uk so I know they won't be 100% accurate but the area has had nothing happening here that would of drastically affected prices, there are no similar house styles within a 5 mile radius to compare current values with.

Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course they are not accurate.

And a property is worth what someone will pay for it. If the developer believes he can get £244K for the property, and a buyer comes along and pays that, then that is the market value........

If you are not willing or able to pay £244, then offer £240. If the developer agrees, that is the current market value.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dannyjebb wrote: »
    ... and also using this price as some ammo for negotiating the price of a new build.

Just to give a different perspective on this...

When potential buyers try to "educate" me with all sorts of reasons why I should accept their low offer, and why the asking price is too high etc - I tend to lose interest quite quickly.

Also, if it's a new build you will probably be talking to a salesperson - I suspect they will not be too interested in your calculations. They will have no control over asking price etc. They will just pass your offer up the chain to a decision maker.

It's probably better to just make your offer and demonstrate that you are proceedable buyer who can work to their timescales.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Those 'calculators' undervalue mine by £100k-ish, and the house I want to buy by even more. IGNORE THEM.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family