Options
2»

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    steadings wrote: »
    Life was so much simpler years ago with decent interest rates for savers!!
    On the other hand you never got savings interest rates of 4.5% above base rate and 5% above inflation.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    On the other hand you never got savings interest rates of 4.5% above base rate and 5% above inflation.
    Now there's a challenge for someone! ;) What was inflation and base rate when the 10% (and 12%?) regular savers were running a few years ago?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now there's a challenge for someone! ;) What was inflation and base rate when the 10% (and 12%?) regular savers were running a few years ago?
    To answer my own question, when Halifax launched their 10% (12% if £5K held in another account with them) regular saver (£500 a month) in July 2008, the base rate was 5.0%. Inflation at the time was 5% (RPI) and 4.4% (CPI).
  • jimjames
    Options
    To answer my own question, when Halifax launched their 10% (12% if £5K held in another account with them) regular saver (£500 a month) in July 2008, the base rate was 5.0%. Inflation at the time was 5% (RPI) and 4.4% (CPI).

Good research! So effectively no difference to now
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Rephrasing that: you never got savings interest rates of ten times base rate.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • jimjames
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    I did have that in my original post but changed it.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »

And the inflation at which your money lost value wasn't zero, as it essentially is now.
  • steadings
    Options

So pretty much the same as now but you could just stick it all in one account and not have the hassle of all this switching, transferring and messing about.

Like someone else on here somewhere I read, I will have enough trouble persuading the OH to open more than a joint acc let alone multiple ones with different banks!! But working on it:)
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    steadings wrote: »
    So pretty much the same as now but you could just stick it all in one account and not have the hassle of all this switching, transferring and messing about.
    Just one account, maybe, but it was a Regular Saver, so you still had the messing about of transferring from another account every month.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family