Finding a builder......

Options
I have a property, but it's two hours drive away, so what is the easiest (and most successful) way of finding a good builder to do some work on it?
I cant do word of mouth. Are any of the 'good tradesmen' websites any good? How genuine are they? Or any other ideas please?

Comments

• jellie
    jellie Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Trading Standards supported - Buywithconfidence.gov.uk
    Government endorsed site - Trustmark.org.uk

Also, my local Age Concern has a list of approved traders on their website.

I've used tradesmen from each of the above. As I was happy with their work, I haven't had to use their conflict resolution so can't vouch for that.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you identify where your property is based somebody maybe able to recommend a builder.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • painted
    painted Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    It's in Portsmouth, Hampshire.
  • Laurensalive
    Options
    I would take a look at www. check a trade .com 0333 0146 190 I have used these before, all recommended, vetted and monitored trades persons and companies.
  • painted
    Options
    So far - Age concern dont have a list of traders in Portsmouth,
    Trustmark - having looked through lists of builders, none have any feedback at all. Do you have to join the site to see it?
    Buy with confidence - no one near enough.
    Check a trade - I have made a list, will phone!
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    I would take a look at www. check a trade .com 0333 0146 190 I have used these before, all recommended, vetted and monitored trades persons and companies.

vetted and monitored - loosely

but CAT do have the biggest list
  • painted
    Options
    Well, that wasnt very successful, so far! I phoned three builders all twice each. The first two, as they didnt answer, were left a message, which so far they havent replied to. The third answered the second time and we arranged for him to phone the tenant and arrange with her a mutually convenient time and he hasnt phoned yet!
    So. annoyingly, onto the next three!
  • barnaclebill
    Options
    When we bought this house in December we wanted a kitchen fitted and the bath removed and a big walk in shower installed. Looked on check a trade and contacted the plumber and joiner with the best reviews only one did not call back, the two tradesmen managed to complete the work before we moved in, both on time and price as quoted, I later used check a trade to find a firm to remove a hedge and some heavy bushes again with good results. I gave all good feedback and was contacted by check a trade later to confirm this was my genuine feedback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure