Airbnb - anyone used it? Good / bad experience?

Options
13»

Comments

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I booked a houseboat and an apartment in Amsterdam with AirBnB, it was great and much better than the usual dreary corporate chains I usually stay in.
  • travelgran
    travelgran Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    So we've just returned from our Sri Lanka trip mentioned on Pg 1. We used Airbnb for 7 places without a problem. We had difficulty on occasions finding the places but a quick phone call to the owner soon put us right. All the ones I'd booked had good reviews and I've added to these.
    Re: verification problems. I wonder if this varies from country to country. We're UK based and have no social media accounts so couldn't quote hundreds of friends. Initially no photo was required though we have uploaded one now. Land line phone number was acceptable too.
    Anyway, the system worked for us. We learned a lot about the country and were received with a lot of kindness.
  • howdm
    howdm Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Back in 2012, my wife and booked an apatment in downtown Berlin for two weeks with Airbnb. We were completely satisfied with our stay and saved loads of money.

I've learnt recently that the city is now cracking down on short term rentals to combat the rising cost of living / ease the pressure on the tight rental market. Would be interested to know where you are planning to stay in Germany and if you've had any trouble finding a rental.

Happy travels!
  • airbnb8discountcode
    Options
    I have used airbnb to get accommodation in Edinburgh when hotel are really expensive got a nice apartment for 3 people and they even threw in tea and milk! Great if you like a house or apartment rather than a hotel room.

I have access to a discount code if anyone wants £17 off their first booking. If so sign up at the usual airbnb website site with c/cconolly2 after the usual web address to get the £17 discount.
    I did try to put the link in but wasn't allowed.

Nothing to lose and no scam. I wish to has this before I signed up would have saved me money.

Onwards and upward moneysavers!

Cheers
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you connected with this company at all?
    Just that out of 4 posts by you they all think this company is the bees knees.
    Bit suspicious that don't you think?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you connected with this company at all?
    Just that out of 4 posts by you they all think this company is the bees knees.
    Bit suspicious that don't you think?

And with a code too, I suspect they are connected someway in conjunction with the 4 other posts.
  • airbnb8discountcode
    Options
    No, no connection to the company. Just they have me a discount code for friends and I wished I'd had it before I signed up as I'd have had the discount. Thought I'd copy and past to other posts as bored at work waiting to leave with colleague.
    Don't use it if you don't want it! But I don't have any connection.

I've stayed at a few Airbnb places one in shordich which was nice but expensive but that's London for you! Edinburgh is more reasonable. Places less well know you can get good deals especially if you don't mind just getting a room. I prefer not to share with people I don't know that's a bit weird so me and friends always get a whole property better I think as not encroaching on the owners home.

Anyway use the code/web link if you like if not there may be others about.

Cheers and don't be so sceptical!!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    5 posts then nothing - Victor Meldrew syndrome kicking in for me!
  • fashionistas
    Options
    Don't forget that on Airbnb you can bargain also. And if you stay for 1 week or more it could be good discount.
    We're renting apartment for 3mo in the center of Lisbon, and after negotiations we paid 600euro/mo instead of 900euro.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    .........And now another new poster!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure