Fluctuating credit score?

Options
After spending a lot of my late teens and early 20's being very irresponsible with money, I have taken steps to try to improve my poor credit score.
One thing I've noticed is that my score seems to go up one month, then (frustratingly) down the next, with no obvious reason why. I've looked at the MSE page which explains the reasons my score might go down, but none of them seem to apply to me.
I have a student loan which is being paid every month, and 1 debt which I am also paying. I have a credit card with a small amount on, which I pay off in full every month.

Is this normal? It's a bit annoying because I want to be in a position to apply for a mortgage this year, but it feels like my credit score goes two steps foward, then one step back!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's because the scores are fictional and not used or seen by lenders.

Ignore them.
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    As ZX81 has stated. The score is a load of rubbish.

What matters is the information in the file. Make sure this is 100% correct.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • PLYSU
    PLYSU Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Where are you seeing this score. I have Clearscore (Equifax), Noodle (Call Credit Group) and MSE (Experian) the scores are all different and to be honest like a yoyo each month.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ginger88 wrote: »
    After spending a lot of my late teens and early 20's being very irresponsible with money, I have taken steps to try to improve my poor credit score.
    One thing I've noticed is that my score seems to go up one month, then (frustratingly) down the next, with no obvious reason why. I've looked at the MSE page which explains the reasons my score might go down, but none of them seem to apply to me.
    I have a student loan which is being paid every month, and 1 debt which I am also paying. I have a credit card with a small amount on, which I pay off in full every month.

Is this normal? It's a bit annoying because I want to be in a position to apply for a mortgage this year, but it feels like my credit score goes two steps foward, then one step back!

The score can fluctuate all it wants, goes down when the weather is cold and up when its warmer.

Now you can forget the scores going up and down and focus on your history being correct.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your fictional score was the same month after month you would stop looking and they wouldn't like that.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It’s a number for suckers. Pay your bills on time, make sure the info is correct and have a happy life. Simple.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    It’s a number for suckers. Pay your bills on time, make sure the info is correct and have a happy life. Simple.

Noooo.. Paying your bills on time reduces your "score".

Well it did to mine, shows how useless they are. How can buying something expensive on a card and then paying it off in full lower your "score"?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    Options
    Mine tend not to fluctuate much. Took a lot of money transfers in late 2016 to stooze. My magic numbers took a big hit, though not as much as I expected. It didn't happen at once though, spread over 3 months.

They've improved since, but not as much as I expected either. They stick for several months and then tick up slightly- Clearscore has been at 501 for 4 months for instance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure