Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    British firm develops Brexit solar panel that harvests only UK sun
    A U.K.-based solar module producer is set to unveil a new Brexit solar panel that has been designed to only harvest 100% British solar energy.

Dubbed the “Grey-Catcher”, this new module is two-facial, with the company claiming that the frontside cells can harvest the typical solar rays that hit the British Isles with 100% efficiency, while the rearside can utilize raindrops to deliver an additional 35% power boost.

The developer, Hoodwink Energy, believes that with a fully U.K.-controlled, post-EU feed-in tariff, these panels could shave £350 per week off an average Brexit homeowner’s energy bill.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Who forgot the 12 O'clock rule ?

I didn't find it early enough. But to make up for it, here's some interesting Tesla news:-

Tesla Plans To Build Entire City, Possibly Hundreds Of #TeslaCities
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Solar supplied 50% of California's leccy demand at midday on the 11th March. Time for some batteries/storage.

California solar influx causes negative wholesale rates

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Government has committed to a fresh review of the FiT by the end of the year.

BEIS commits to fresh FiT review by the end of the year
    That review will take into account the balance of deployment caps between and within supported technologies while also considering deployment patterns, balanced against wider government priorities, a government source indicated to SPP.

Such a review could see support for small-scale solar PV – as well as wind, hydro and anaerobic digestion – redistributed and possibly increased to address a projected underspend within the feed-in tariff that has arisen since the introduction of significantly reduced rates early last year.
    The downturn in deployment triggered a year of significant change within the UK’s domestic solar industry. A survey conducted by the Solar Trade Association (STA) in collaboration with Big Four consultancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers last summer found that as many as 12,500 jobs were lost in the aftermath of the FiT cuts as installation businesses found jobs difficult to come by.

Other technologies are witnessing similar downturns in deployment, particularly certain onshore wind bands and the two hydro bands.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    I can't find much on this, but looks like a normal(ish) PV panel of normal size may now be pushing 350Wp. That would allow 5.6kWp on the roof space previously taken up by 4kWp of 16 250Wp panels.

REC launches REC TwinPeak 2S 72 Series, the highest power 72-cell multicrystalline solar panel in the world
    Rated up to 350 Wp, the REC TwinPeak 2S 72 panel sets a new world record in power output for 72-cell multicrystalline panels, thus competing strongly with products of similar size using monocrystalline (mono) and mono-PERC technology by providing the highest power at a competitive cost. While REC has packed more power into a single panel, the REC TwinPeak 2S 72 weighs just 22 kg, up to 4 kg lighter than standard 72-cell-sized panels, enabling easier handling and quicker installation times.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Australia is looking to increase the price it pays for PV export to reflect the rise in wholesale prices. New payments work out at around 6.75p to 8.5p/kWh.

Solar feed-in tariff benchmark could double by July 1

I'm reminded of the calculations that I (and others) did some time back, where in the UK, with a good deal and cheap self finance, PV generation could be down to around 7p/kWh.

With Aussie generation around 140% to 180% of UK generation, that makes me wonder if export payments may now be enough to pay for PV. Good news.

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Australia is looking to increase the price it pays for PV export to reflect the rise in wholesale prices. New payments work out at around 6.75p to 8.5p/kWh.

Solar feed-in tariff benchmark could double by July 1

I'm reminded of the calculations that I (and others) did some time back, where in the UK, with a good deal and cheap self finance, PV generation could be down to around 7p/kWh.

With Aussie generation around 140% to 180% of UK generation, that makes me wonder if export payments may now be enough to pay for PV. Good news.

Surely with something like PV all being on-stream at similar times it makes more sense to pay spot or a payment linked to the electricity price at the time of generation rather than an average price. I assume Aus is the same as elsewhere with a dip in spot prices on high PV days.
    I think....
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Surely with something like PV all being on-stream at similar times it makes more sense to pay spot or a payment linked to the electricity price at the time of generation rather than an average price. I assume Aus is the same as elsewhere with a dip in spot prices on high PV days.

Hiya. Looking at these graphs for various states, it looks like prices are in or near that 11.6c - 14.6c range for a lot of the PV day.

I assume the evening peaks are for the same reason as seen in the US' sunny states, people switching on A/C when they get home.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    France is planning another 2.1GWp of PV, and a new 20yr FiT scheme.

EU greenlights France’s new regulation (and FIT) for residential and commercial PV

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback