Disappointed in mental healthy service

Options
13»

Comments

• gayleygoo
    Options
    my SIL is training to be a nurse in mental health, and admits the services are seriously underfunded. Mental health issues are responsible for 30% of the disease burden in the UK (much higher again here in N.I.), but get only something like 8% of the budget. Even if someone told their doctor they'd planned to kill themselves the next day, an "urgent" referral would mean a two week wait to be seen. A routine referral can be much longer, although timescales obviously depends on where you live.

In an emergency you may be able to take your partner to a&e to be seen. My OH did this for a friend once, although it was a long wait in a&e in a distressing environment, but he did get the help he needed.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • Jacko_amz
    Options
    Thanks everyone were looking into different resources around our area 😄
    Tesco Loan - 9177
  • edfellows
    Options
    I work in mental health and get you are confused and disappointed.
    Mental health services are two tiered - changes were made nationally in 2006 - this was to eg improve access & reduce stigma.

For common and routine mental health difficulties - the mental health service is in primary care.

Secondary mental health services are for the most serious and severe mental illness - generally speaking in the main this is for people who are experiencing psychosis. Secondary mental health has the acute hospital beds and crisis teams - when the risks of harm ( injury and death) are very high to self and others, then these services will become involved. Once the risks lessen, you maybe referred back to primary care services.

GP's are generally the first point of call - there is no A&E in mental health services. Your GP is able to prescribe medications for mental health difficulties. On occasions the GP may seek the advice of a psychiatrist for primary care level of difficulty - for example may wish to know if diagnosed correctly and get advice on medications that might help.

Psychology and IAPT. IAPT is - Improving Access to Psychotherapy. The primary care mental health in the main is psychology with your GP. To improve people's access to psychology - people are assessed as having needs that fit onto - five steps. Steps 1-3 are provided in primary mental health with your GP. Dependent on how your CCG commissions your services, you may also have step four in your primary care mental health service.

Secondary care CMHT take the most complex mental health presentations. Therefore step 5 psychology (generally speaking this means has psychological difficulties that will take around 2 years in therapy). Some of this will be group therapies and not all will require a 1:1 intervention with a psychologist eg Managing emotional responses.

CPN's, OT, social workers, carer support services, etc are in secondary mental health services, and generally unavailable to people who are in primary care mental health services.
  • skattykatty
    Options
    Just to reiterate - look for local community counselling services, low cost services and even private counsellers/therapists will often have low cost spaces available.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Netwizard wrote: »
    Where I live, there is a mental health hospital only down the road.

When my friend and his GF split up, he wasn't feeling too good, punching walls, crying, most out of character.

He rung the mental health hospital down the road to see if they could offer help, but they said not without a GP referral.

After that phone call, I picked him up and we took him down there. He saw the duty doctor and crisis team, they sat him down, had a chat, and arranged follow up calls and counselling for him.

Thankfully that saw him right. I'm not sure if you have a hospital anywhere near you, but if you just turn up explaining the situation and that you want to speak to someone, they have a duty of care to sort you out, usually sitting you down with a duty doctor, hospital co-ordinator in charge, and the crisis team, talking things through, and arranging support and follow up calls as necessary :)

Please don't do this - it is dangerously bad advice. Inpatient units are run on the minimum number of staff possible, so taking them away from their work means leaving others at risk. They do not have the manpower nor the physical facilities to accommodate walk ins.

If you are in crisis call 999 - it is not just for physical emergencies. The Samaritans are also always available, and you don't have to be suicidal to call them - their number is 08457 909090 or you can email jo@samaritans.org.
  • edfellows
    Options
    In my area our CCG and local authority work with charitable organisations such as MIND - the charities often are receiving a payment from the CCG and/ or LA - to provide help and support to people who are experiencing MH difficulties at a level that does not fit the criteria for acute services. So many counselling courses are offered free at point of delivery. Your GP surgery and local health clinics should hold the details of what is available to you. Also - the local authority is also likely to have information - have a look on their website - if not / give them a call - they are usually happy to sign post you to what is available to you in your local community
  • Netwizard
    Netwizard Posts: 830 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2015 at 1:17AM
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Please don't do this - it is dangerously bad advice. Inpatient units are run on the minimum number of staff possible, so taking them away from their work means leaving others at risk. They do not have the manpower nor the physical facilities to accommodate walk ins.

This wasn't an inpatient unit, merely a sort of walk in centre, attached to another, part of the hospital. At no time were the inpatient units or staff compromised in terms of numbers, as the inpatient units are all locked and staffed on very strict numbers (2 for rehab unit, up to 8 staff for ICU depending on obs and 1-2-1s) But what do I know, I only worked there for 10 years helping and sorting peoples problems out :rotfl:

Of course, this is just the hospital I worked at. Every one will be different and have slightly different ways of working, I was merely saying my option might be a possibility. I appreciate not all hospitals will have an out of hours centre you can just walk into and talk to someone if you are struggling, I guess where I worked, people were lucky to have this service, and the availability of an on call doctor and crisis team :)
  • Jacko_amz
    Jacko_amz Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    We have referred to mind so hopefully will hear something soon x
    Tesco Loan - 9177
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    MIND have helped me a lot, both through a crisis situation and what causes me to get into the crisis situation. Since then its helped keep me going knowing I can go and talk over things within a few days if I feel bad. It also helps to know that I am doing something about it.
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the online course which BigAunty mentioned.

http://bemindful.co.uk/

It costs £60.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business