Vent about comparison sites!

Options
knightstyle
knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Our deal with Robin Hood Energy is ending so I looked at other supplier.
Put details in Money Supermarket and their cheapest deal is more than if I stay with Robin Hood. BUT nowhere do they give Robin Hoods prices as a comparison!
Surely this is wrong, they are not listing the best deal for me!

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have not personally used the 'energy comparison' sites however if it is like the car insurance 'comparison' ones, then not *every single supplier* (as such) is listed. :)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    I have not personally used the 'energy comparison' sites however if it is like the car insurance 'comparison' ones, then not *every single supplier* (as such) is listed. :)
    Just the ones paying commission to be included .
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Several websites don't include your own company.

Just enter your details as, say British Gas standard tariff and you will have all the tariffs listed.

However you must enter annual kWh - not how much you pay.

P.S.
    It is not true that only commission paying companies are included.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our deal with Robin Hood Energy is ending so I looked at other supplier.
    Put details in Money Supermarket and their cheapest deal is more than if I stay with Robin Hood. BUT nowhere do they give Robin Hoods prices as a comparison!
    Surely this is wrong, they are not listing the best deal for me!

Ensure you tick the box at the top of the list of tariffs marked:

"There are other tariffs available that can save you an extra £xx a month but we can’t switch you to them. Show widest range of tariffs*"

and you will see all the tariffs from RHE :)
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Most comparison sites offer an option to see all suppliers or just those you can use their click through to switch. Some sites MSE Energy Club for example allow you just to view your existing supplier, they also have the ability to compare you current annual charge with a new supplier which makes sense, most other site will give your current cost as say 1 mth at current rate then 11 mths at you existing suppliers standard rate.[/FONT]
  • knightstyle
    Options
    Just found the box at the top giving access to all the sites but then it shows Robin Hood well down the list as the comparison site estimates the annual price as more than Robin Hood say I will have to pay.
    The reason I went for Robin Hood by the way was because it is a no profit organisation set up by Nottingham City Council.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 November 2017 at 11:49AM
    Options
    Just found the box at the top giving access to all the sites but then it shows Robin Hood well down the list as the comparison site estimates the annual price as more than Robin Hood say I will have to pay.
    The reason I went for Robin Hood by the way was because it is a no profit organisation set up by Nottingham City Council.

You may not be comparing ‘like with like’. On MSE CEC, you enter the annual projections in kWhs. Suppliers use projected estimates based on your recent consumption and its internal algorithms.

PS Non-profit does not mean no profit. Local Authority schemes also tend to have higher running costs. For example, Bristol Energy has to pay back a very large loan from Bristol Council.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Put your appropriate figures directly into the RHE website and see if that gives you the same results as the comparison site.

If it does, contact RHE to get an explanation of what figures they have provided.

If the cost do not tally with the PCW, please provide us the following:
    1. Supply region (or first part of postcode)
    2. Exact name of tariff you are being offered by RHE
    3. Anticipated annual consumption in kWh
    4. (If on E7, normal low rate split)
    5. Costs given by:
    a) MoneySuperMarket
    b) RHE

Now you have consulted a comparison site, hopefully you see that 'not for profit' does not necessaribly mean cheapest ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The comparison site will give the annual total. e.g. £1200pa

Do Robin Hood give an annual total, or a monthly Direct Debit figure - e.g. £92.76p monthly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure