Loan Acceptance Vs Credit Score

Options
Hi All,

Needing a bit of advice. My wife and I needed a loan to consolidate debt and extra for some large home improvements. Felt it would be sensible to bring this to one monthly repayment. We searched online for the best loan's around at the minute and applied for one online at 2.8% APR. We heard back from them yesterday saying they had accepted the application but at 8%, not at the 2.8 we had applied at!

I have a good Credit Score at the moment and felt that the APR was considerably high. My fear is, if i decline this loan offer, this is going to look bad on my CS, and what is the chance of the next 'best' loan provider giving me the same rate, if not worse? Don't want to continue doing this and wreck my credit score.

Feel like its a bit of a gamble.

Hoping someone can point us in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your credit score is totally meaningless, and is not seen by lenders. Your credit history is what matters.

Firstly, the "headline" APR is only offered to applicants with a credit history that matches the lender's requirements perfectly. There can be many reasons why you're not classed as "perfect" - but an obvious red flag is the word "consolidation". Consolidation loans are rarely a good idea, and lenders tend not to like them - they don't know for sure that you actually will spend the money they lend you to pay off your existing debts.

You could try 1 more application to see how you get on - that won't have too much of a negative effect. But more than a couple of applications in a short space of time starts to look bad.

But I'll reiterate - consider carefully whether a consolidation loan is really a wise choice.
  • PaulDog2017
    Options
    So should we carry out another application to a different lender at the moment to try get a better interest rate? Although the 8% loan is available for us to accept at present?

Also in this application we will put that it is for home improvement as the majority of the borrowed money will infect be used for this anyway, we have probably been too honest.

Thanks
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All,

Needing a bit of advice. My wife and I needed a loan to consolidate debt and extra for some large home improvements. Felt it would be sensible to bring this to one monthly repayment. We searched online for the best loan's around at the minute and applied for one online at 2.8% APR. We heard back from them yesterday saying they had accepted the application but at 8%, not at the 2.8 we had applied at!

I have a good Credit Score at the moment and felt that the APR was considerably high. My fear is, if i decline this loan offer, this is going to look bad on my CS, and what is the chance of the next 'best' loan provider giving me the same rate, if not worse? Don't want to continue doing this and wreck my credit score.

Thanks in Advance

As you know its all risk based and as you are incorporating other debts hence the reason the apr is higher.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another point occurs to me. Are the home improvements essential ? If not, you'd be much better paying off your existing debt first, then saving up for the improvements - it'll work out a whole heap cheaper in the long run.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So should we carry out another application to a different lender at the moment to try get a better interest rate? Although the 8% loan is available for us to accept at present?

Also in this application we will put that it is for home improvement as the majority of the borrowed money will infect be used for this anyway, we have probably been too honest.

Thanks

In which case it will probably be down to affordability. You are looking to take on a significant amount of additional debt if it is mostly not being used to 'pay off' current debt.

I suggest doing a full SOA listing outgoings and the APRs of the current debt.
    Can the home improvement not be done in chunks, saving up in between?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks in Advance

Your credit score is only seen by you and you only, it could be all singing and all dancing with bells and whistles but it still wont change the fact only you can see the score.

Lenders see the credit history, lenders cant tell from the score if you have debts, have missed credit payments.

If you decline the loan at 8% it wont look bad on you, all thats noted is a search was carried out.

The 8% might be the best you can get.

What is the debt ? What does it consist of ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure