What to do with an inheritance...

Options
2»

Comments

• DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You say that an income stream would be desirable, not a great deal of income from cash savings, and dividends are not a lot to shout about. As dividends are exposed to the risks that go with equities, then it is your choice.
    We are nearer retirement than you, but have no regrets being heavy in to gold for most of our cash retirement pot. You should consider exposure to gold.
    Here are two links you can study, as MSE's 'resident gold expert' 😉I'm happy to give more info..._
    http://moneyweek.com/a-beginners-guide-to-investing-in-gold/
    http://goldprice.org
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    You say that an income stream would be desirable, not a great deal of income from cash savings, and dividends are not a lot to shout about. As dividends are exposed to the risks that go with equities, then it is your choice.
    We are nearer retirement than you, but have no regrets being heavy in to gold for most of our cash retirement pot. You should consider exposure to gold.
    Here are two links you can study, as MSE's 'resident gold expert' 😉I'm happy to give more info..._
    http://moneyweek.com/a-beginners-guide-to-investing-in-gold/
    http://goldprice.org

How do you get a steady secure income stream from gold????
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 2 March 2016 at 10:40AM
    Options
    Unlike with shares in companies held through funds, gold doesn't pay any dividends, or generate business profits to re-invest in itself and create value - and unlike a bank running a savings account or a peer-to peer borrower asking for a loan, there is there is nobody to pay you an ongoing income as a "thanks" for giving them the use of your funds.

So with the original criteria of creating as much income as possible without taking risk, gold is terrible, because it doesn't create any income and its value can change drastically ; it bobbles around in value so like with shares you may end up with more or less than you started with over various time periods, and someone dead set on "zero risk" should steer well clear.

Still over the long long term it may be better than cash as a hedge against inflation because the same speculative reasons that people hold it now, will probably endure for a few decades yet. If you are going to already have a portfolio of investments it can diversify your returns by sometimes going up when shares go down or vice versa. So I'm not saying completely ignore the idea, as any ideas are better than doing nothing - but if you don't already have any investments it's probably a poor place to start because of it fundamentally not producing any "returns", while carrying risk.

If you just want to hedge against inflation you could go out now and buy a few years worth of toilet paper and tinned food as those sorts of things will go up in cost over time, so literally buying them today will definitely preserve your ability to have those items in a few years, while buying a bar of gold in the hope that it goes up in value faster than the things you want to spend it on, is just guesswork.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Tarser wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am very inexperienced in money matters as I've never had any. However, my situation has changed after recently receiving a 100K inheritance. I have an ISA with HSBC but apart from that, the money is sitting in my current account. I want to do something with it that involves literally ZERO RISK. I want the money to generate money to bring in as much as possible so that I can cut back on my self employed work as much as possible. I'm 56 and I'm not going to get a state pension for ten more years.

Is there anything else I could do that has no risk? I have read that I should spread the money out into different banks and accounts. I don't want to lose track of it and want things to be simple. I can leave the money for a long period without touching it.

Any advice would be great as I'm am completely in the dark!

These two statements seem contradictory. Do you want the £100K to fund early retirement or do you want it to hold for the long term? If both, how much income do you want until you get your State Pension??

Keeping the money in cash is pretty risky in the long term as others have explained. Some will recommend the high interest rate current accounts (eg Santander). However bear in mind these are loss leaders to attract customers and are unlikely in my view to continue for the long term. The true market interest rate on cash is virtually zero.

There are some investment options that are low risk but better than cash. One is an annuity which guarantees a fixed (or possibly inflation adjusted) income until you die. At say 60 for £100K you could currently get a fixed income of around £4800 fixed or £2600 inflation adjusted guaranteed until you die. However you would lose the £100K.

Another lower risk option with a higher return than cash is a With Profits Investment Bond. The best one I know of is provided by Prudential. For £100K this would permit a tax free annual drawdown of up to £5K although there is no guarantee that the fund would return sufficient to prevent a slow decrease in your £100K should you take the maximum drawdown. However for the past 14 years I have held such a bond it has averaged 5.5% annually with only one year where it decreased in value (2009 by 5%).
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    Some will recommend the high interest rate current accounts (eg Santander). However bear in mind these are loss leaders to attract customers and are unlikely in my view to continue for the long term. The true market interest rate on cash is virtually zero.

Interest rates are so low that opportunistic exploitation of loss-leader current accounts (and regular savers) seems wise to me. When they vanish, move on to the next short-term opportunity. In my judgement it's a reasonable use of part of his capital: the mistake would be to assume that it should be used for all of his capital indefinitely.

As for gold: for income, no. As a diversifier, and as insurance against government follies, a bit might be reasonable. It's not an obvious place for a beginner to start, though.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport