What level of proof for gross misconduct

Options
We've had a situation over recent months when we have suspected that our nanny who looks after the children in our house has been opening our mail and sticking it back down when she's read it. I tried to confront her about this a few weeks ago and she hotly denied it, and I've come home again today to find it has happened again and this time she says we have a new postman and he must be doing it!

All the letters which have been opened except one relate to one of the children possibly changing school so unlikely to be of any interest to anyone other than perhaps the nanny. We have been keeping her fully informed about this but perhaps she wants to double check things. The one letter which wasn't in this set would have looked from the postmark as if it was but was in fact intensely personal

As I am out at work when the mail arrives I can't physically catch her in the act (or stop her from doing this for that matter). What level of proof do I need to start disciplinary action against her given that it's her word against mine. I don't want to continue to employ her if this behaviour doesn't stop.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As it's her word against yours it's difficult to see how any disciplinary action could be carried through. Short of installing covert CCTV throughout the house it's hard to see what you can do.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    We've had a situation over recent months when we have suspected that our nanny who looks after the children in our house has been opening our mail and sticking it back down when she's read it. I tried to confront her about this a few weeks ago and she hotly denied it, and I've come home again today to find it has happened again and this time she says we have a new postman and he must be doing it!

All the letters which have been opened except one relate to one of the children possibly changing school so unlikely to be of any interest to anyone other than perhaps the nanny. We have been keeping her fully informed about this but perhaps she wants to double check things. The one letter which wasn't in this set would have looked from the postmark as if it was but was in fact intensely personal

As I am out at work when the mail arrives I can't physically catch her in the act (or stop her from doing this for that matter). What level of proof do I need to start disciplinary action against her given that it's her word against mine. I don't want to continue to employ her if this behaviour doesn't stop.

How long has she worked for you? Just end her employment.

Disciplinary action seems ways above what is actually needed for longer wanting a babysitter.

If you were a proper company employing someone then more proof than a wobbly envelope would be needed.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    She's worked for me for 3 years so has employment rights and is full time (I have more than one child so she isn't just required outside school hours)

I'm not a company but do pay tax national insurance and pension for her so this isn't just a casual baby sitting arrangement
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She's worked for me for 3 years so has employment rights and is full time

So give her 3 weeks pay and make her redundant
  • Nicki
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    So give her 3 weeks pay and make her redundant

But I'd need to replace her immediately as I still have to do to work and the kids still need looking after. This isn't a redundancy situation it's a misconduct one.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    But I'd need to replace her immediately as I still have to do to work and the kids still need looking after. This isn't a redundancy situation it's a misconduct one.

Potential misconduct. As I said, suspecting that shes checking your post isnt enough.

As someone else said, fit a lockable post box.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options

With three years service, you need more than your suspicions. You currently have no evidence at all, and therefore no reason to form a reasonable belief, that mail has been opened at all. If the mail reaches you sealed, then you have no way of showing that it was even opened. The test in employment law is that the employer forms a reasonable belief, not necessarily a true one. But what you are saying is that you have nothing. That isn't going to cut it.
  • Nicki
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    With three years service, you need more than your suspicions. You currently have no evidence at all, and therefore no reason to form a reasonable belief, that mail has been opened at all. If the mail reaches you sealed, then you have no way of showing that it was even opened. The test in employment law is that the employer forms a reasonable belief, not necessarily a true one. But what you are saying is that you have nothing. That isn't going to cut it.

Two of the letters had definitely been opened. The first was out of the envelope completely and left with a stack of other mail. The one today had been opened and didn't have enough glue left on the flap to stick it back down so although it was in the envelope it's unlikely it went through the mail that way. I'm confident that my belief the mail has been tampered with is reasonable but not sure whether that's enough to form a reasonable belief she did it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure