Sole Trader to Limited Company

Options
My husband has been self employed now since September 2014 and received a tax rebate in his first year of being self employed 2013/2014. We have submitted his accounts for the tax year 2015/2016 which he will need to pay his tax in Jan 2017 plus payment on account and then another payment on account in July 2017. Our accountant has now mentioned to us about becoming a Limited Company as it will be in our best interest.

I haven't got a clue regards to Sole Trader vs Limited Company, even though I have been searching online and the HMRC website.

Has anyone else gone from Sole Trader to Limited Company who may be able to give me some advice? Bank Accounts, Book Keeping Etc.

Thanks in advance xx

Comments

• greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, I was a sole trader from April 2014 and incorporated my LTD in October 2015.

My partner is due to create his company soon, so I've been going through the steps with him.

Having a ltd company is a fair bit more work than being a sole trader in terms of paperwork, but if your accountant is suggesting it's more beneficial then hopefully the extra paperwork will make it worth it.

To start, you obviously need to incorporate your company (with a unique name) through Companies House. Your accountant can do this for you but it's cheaper to do yourself (I think about £15) and you can do it online.

Then, you need to arrange a business bank account. You can probably start the process of applying for this but you won't be able to provide all the paperwork to open the account until you've received your certificate, so it's good to get started. Also you'll be able to see yourself on Companies House website search much faster than you receive your company paperwork in the post so you can use the certificate published on the website instead of the paper copy.

You need to have some form of accountancy software. I use Xero as it was recommended by my accountant. It's pretty simple. You can manage it yourself and give your accountant special access too so they can change things on your behalf.

From as soon as the company is incorporated and the bank account exists, you'll want to start taking income to the new account instead of your current account. Money in your LTD company account is not anything to do with you and should be kept entirely separate from your personal finances.

If you are married, it would make sense for you both to be employees of the company and both directors too. You can pay yourself a small monthly salary each, enough to not go over the personal tax allowance of £11,000. Then the leftover cash that comes into the business can be paid out as dividends. It is recommended not to pay a monthly dividend, and never for the same amount. Try to do it 3-4 times a year. You will need to pay 7.5% tax on any dividends you receive. So you will both need to put in a yearly personal tax return still.

Retain money in the business account to pay for any expenses (equipment, fees, accountancy costs etc) and also retain 20% as this is used to pay the corporation tax bill. After that, the money left in the account can be used to withdraw dividends.

There are lots of other things to consider, such as VAT, but hopefully that's a good starting point.
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou for your help, very informative :). Do you have any recommendations on bank accounts? Most of the income would be paid into the bank via bank transfer, and we would pay in the occasional cheque.
  • greensalad
    edited 20 April 2016 at 2:55PM
    Options
    I went with Santander purely because they didn't require me to have a formal meeting and I needed an account quickly. But that's probably not the best answer.

I'd research the costs associated with cashing cheques and such. Some banks charge businesses certain amounts.

The crossover period where you're still getting things set up is the most difficult. I would incorporate your company, say on the 25th April, and from that day forward any money received as part of work I would stash in a separate personal account while you wait for your business account to be set up. Once the business account is set up pay the cash in and mark it on your books as being sent to personal account by accident.

Also with regards to expenses, you want to buy things through your company not your personal funds. If you buy through personal funds, then you can submit them as expenses through Xero to your company who then pay them back to you. This isn't taxed as it's not income, just reimbursement for what you've spent. Keep all receipts. Ideally you want to buy any business related expenses directly from your business account, not having any involvement with your personal finances. So I have my business account linked to Amazon for purchasing business materials.

In regards to expenses remember that anything you claim must be wholly and exclusively for use of the company. If you buy a company car, you can't use it for personal driving. It's the companies car, not yours. If your business goes under the car is part of the business and not owned by you...

The general way you handle ltd companies is to pay yourself a small salary, reduce your profits with expenses, and then pay dividends only on what's left after tax.

You can pay yourself a pension, and match it, if you're employed. So that £11k a year your company pays each of you could be swallowed up entirely by pension contributions if you like.
  • Nicky321
    Options
    Thankyou for your prompt reply, We already bank with Santander, Halifax & Nationwide so probably better getting a business account with them. At the moment, i am trying to digest all the information given and found, but its pretty much going over my head :(
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    greensalad wrote: »
    ....You need to have some form of accountancy software. .

You don't need to have "some form of accountancy software".

You must keep accounting records, but you can do so on paper, if you want.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    ....If you buy a company car, you can't use it for personal driving. It's the companies car, not yours. ... .

Of course you can use a company car for personal driving. Actually, it's pretty much impossible to have a company car and convince HMRC that it isn't used for personal driving.

Or you quite sure you should be giving people advice on such matters?
  • Nicky321
    Options
    antrobus My husband has been self employed for 18 months or so, and I have been using "Accounts & budgeting" software and "Invoice Manager" software. He already has a van which is solely used for business. Is being a Limited Company much different to a Sole Trader?
  • greensalad
    Options
    OK, sorry, you don't specifically need accountancy software but most people are going to find it a lot easier than a paper system.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are married, it would make sense for you both to be employees of the company and both directors too.

Hi

I am not sure that this advise is correct - my accountant has always advised me against employing my wife - it really depends on what that person is going to do - I would double check with your accountant.
    If you are married, it would make sense for you both to be employees of the company and both directors too. You can pay yourself a small monthly salary each, enough to not go over the personal tax allowance of £11,000. Then the leftover cash that comes into the business can be paid out as dividends.

As to dividends - well yes split the company - but you need to decide how much by - 50/50 might be fine - but you might want to do something different - again speak to your accountant.
    It is recommended not to pay a monthly dividend, and never for the same amount. Try to do it 3-4 times a year. You will need to pay 7.5% tax on any dividends you receive. So you will both need to put in a yearly personal tax return still.

Your comment about dividends is not correct or at least does not tell the whole story - below is a copy from my accountant:

Dividend Tax Changes

In the new tax year the way in which income tax is calculated on dividends will change. The changes are summarised below:

· the existing 10% tax credit will be scrapped and the (sometimes confusing) concept of net and gross dividends will disappear with this;

· a £5,000 tax free dividend allowance will be introduced and dividends declared in excess of this will be taxed at the following rates:

o dividends in the basic rate will be subject to income tax at a rate of 7.5% (previously an effective rate of 0%);

o dividends in the higher rate will be subject to income tax at a rate of 32.5% (previously an effective rate of 25%); and

o dividends in the additional rate will be subject to income tax at 38.1% (previously an effective rate of 30.6%).

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    You don't need to have "some form of accountancy software".

You must keep accounting records, but you can do so on paper, if you want.

In reality I use Excel - works ok for me.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure