Being made redundant, need clarification

Hi all,

I've been placed on risk of redundancy, although our jobs are moving 200 miles away so the redundancy will happen.

We're currently on the consultation period, had 1 so far the next one is next week and the period should end on 19th December.

We're trying to find out what our actual leaving date would be so that I can tell future employers when I can start for them but the business keeps telling us they're aiming for 19th January or week commencing 22nd December.

When do they HAVE to tell us when our last day will be as it's becoming increasingly frustrating not knowing?

Today they told us this:

[FONT=&quot]"We were looking at the 19th January, or week commencing the 22nd January – assuming no alternatives to the proposed redundancies, or alternative employment within XXXX are found."

Also, we've already had our redundancy package, I'm getting my statutory of 1 week per year I've been here but we're also getting 4 weeks pay in lieu. They've told us that if we leave the business before the proposed leaving dates that we won't get a penny of our redundancies.

I thought the pay in lieu payment was a payment for not working the notice? Is that correct?

I assume they're doing everything by the book but it's just stupidly frustrating not knowing what's going on so I can plan for the future.
[/FONT]

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    They don't have to tell you a date but consultation should clarify at some point if you ask the right questions. Like handover when are the jobs moving what's the relocation package etc.

Chances are they don't know yet when how they make it happen with Xmas in the middle.

Because they are giving PILON they can avoid any firm dates and paying if you leave as you can't use counternotice.

Notice should be at least 1week per year so if worked there 5 years or more they need to fix that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure