How much in benefits?

Options
Hi. If you were to be made redundant, how much do you receive in benefits? My wife earns £22k, so assume they would take that into account. How much is job seekers allowance or any other benefit I would be entitled to. Having never claimed a benefit before, not sure! Thanks

Comments

• richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    fattyc wrote: »
    Hi. If you were to be made redundant, how much do you receive in benefits? My wife earns £22k, so assume they would take that into account. How much is job seekers allowance or any other benefit I would be entitled to. Having never claimed a benefit before, not sure! Thanks

£60 per wk over age 25
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £60.50 to be exact - aka not nearly enough to live on.:cool:

Erm.....nope it isnt a "joke" figure either - that really is how little it is.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    my understanding is that your wife's income is not taken into account for the first 6 months...after that, it would be (along with savings, etc.)

as for how little it is - was speaking to a friend in America who was made redundant and whining about the $1100/month he received in unemployment benefits as it was too little to live on...he almost fell over when I gave him the comparable figure here...and yes, I know it's more complicated than just looking at the numbers (i.e. no job = no health insurance in the US generally) but still.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • storminbalder
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    my understanding is that your wife's income is not taken into account for the first 6 months...after that, it would be (along with savings, etc.)

as for how little it is - was speaking to a friend in America who was made redundant and whining about the $1100/month he received in unemployment benefits as it was too little to live on...he almost fell over when I gave him the comparable figure here...and yes, I know it's more complicated than just looking at the numbers (i.e. no job = no health insurance in the US generally) but still.

I think you'll find he's making it up. Unless he's taken out some insurance for himself.
  • Hutch100uk
    Options
    You're wife's salary is taken into account IMMEDIATELY. My partner was made redundant and gets NO jobseekers allowance as he had not been working continuously for 2 years, therefore had not paid enough NI. Because I have a job, he isn't entitled to any. Had he worked for 2 years, or I didn't work, he would be entitled to £60.50 per week. This is how it works:

1. no longer working but had worked for 2 years or more before claim = £60.50 per week in 'Contributions Based Jobseekers Allowance'

2. no longer working but had not worked for 2 years or more before claim = £60.50 per week in 'Income based jobseekers allowance'
    (unless your partner works and earns above a certain amount - which isn't very much either)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure