what's cheapest to run central heating or Dyson am09?

Options

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does it work by creating a worm hole into the heart of a sun, and channels heat from it? And it needs 2kW to sustain the worm hole?
    And is it called a solar heat pump?

If not, don't be silly, keeping using gas central heating.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2016 at 3:39AM
    Options
    Dyson are the masters at re-inventing something (usually poorly) and making us believe that we really need it and that it is much better than what we had before.

1) Cleaners, poor to work on/repair. cheaply made. Expensive parts. All the dust flies in the air when you empty the cannister. Unless you do it outside..going through a careful procedure. I use the empty into another bag first method. They are the only vacuum I have had to clean out....with a another vacuum (it seemed perverted). In fact, they are the only vacuum I have had to take apart into bits to wash clean!

2) Hand Driers: Eventually become full of mould if not cleaned often. Plastic starts to degrade. Pools of rancid water inside and most of it drips onto the floor. You have to carefully slide your hands in without touching the rank bacteria infested sides.

3) Dyson Blower/Heater. No more efficient than any other fan heater, costs 3 times as much.
  • My heating is on 24 hours a day, using a thermostatic timeswitch. I am always on the cheapest gas electric rate. I never use electric for heating.

Settings are 18C in morning, 18C in the evening. 12 during the day. If the adults need to get warm, they bg99er off to the library. 12C overnight. It has come on a couple of times this week and keeps my toes warm.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It
    2) Hand Driers: Eventually become full of mould if not cleaned often. Plastic starts to degrade. Pools of rancid water inside and most of it drips onto the floor. You have to carefully slide your hands in without touching the rank bacteria infested sides.

And some of them ought to require users to wear ear defenders
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    Options
    Dyson are the masters at re-inventing something (usually poorly) and making us believe that we really need it and that it is much better than what we had before..

I think they pinched that concept from Ford
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    Now the weather is turning colder I'm hoping someone on here can help me work out which is going to be cheapest to run, our central heating or a Dyson am09.

We have a large 5 bedroom house with 10 central heating radiators. Last year we had heating on 2 hours in mornings and 3 hours in evenings.

This year we now have 2 adults at home 24/7, so the heating would need to be on for considerably longer, thinking 8am-8pm on low?

I've recently bought a Dyson am09. The front room has double doors, which can be shut and we could use the am09 to heat this one room and leave the central heating same timings as last year. Or we could put heating on 8am-8pm.

Can anybody explain how I can work out which would be cheaper to run please?

Electricity probably costs you about 10p-15p per kWh

Gas should cost you about 2.5p per kWh

Electrical heaters are almost 100% efficient

Worst central heating system is probably 60% efficient.

But I'm not sure that is what you are asking.

What you appear to be asking is which is cheaper to operate. A 5litre, V12 engine or a 1 litre, 3 cylinder turbocharged ectotec engine.
    ... But the 5litre V12 will not be exceeding 5mph, whereas the 1.0l fiesta will be driven flat out. :cool:
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    But I'm not sure that is what you are asking.
    I think it is the common "heating 1 room vs many rooms" type question, but with a little "electricity or gas?" thrown in for added flavour.

Sometimes there can be an advantage for using a gas fire (even with their inefficiencies) to heat a single room instead of CH which could be needlessly heating the whole house, but I would think all of that advantage goes out the window when you are talking about an electric heater. With the possible exception of wrapping yourself in a low Wattage electric blanket.

The OP is best off using the CH but lowering the output of radiators in unused rooms to keep the chill off and reduce to likelihood of mould.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When these Dyson heaters first came out, we asked a very helpful salesman in our local family run electrical shop if this would be better than our current oil-filled (plug in) radiator for heating our conservatory. He advised us to stick with the oil filled radiator on the grounds that not only would it be much cheaper to run, it was quiet (no blowers) and would maintain the heat level much more efficiently.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    The OP is best off using the CH but lowering the output of radiators in unused rooms to keep the chill off and reduce to likelihood of mould.

Istar337 makes a very important point here. If you just heat one room in a house you can increase the chance of mould and damp in other areas of the house.

Warm air can hold more moisture then cold air. If you heat one room, the warm air in that room will hold a lot more water vapour. Once that warm air gets into the other parts of the unheated house, it will cool very quickly. It then cannot retain all the water vapour and it condensates as water on the coldest surface available, a wall or a window. Overtime this will cause ongoing damp patches and mould.

You would be surprised how much water vapour we produce in our houses on a daily basis.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Istar337 makes a very important point here. If you just heat one room in a house you can increase the chance of mould and damp in other areas of the house.
    I can't take all the credit for that as Pete9501 mentioned it earlier after I failed to point it out in my initial post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure