MOTs

Options

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    What would happen in this situation, would they be able to stop you taking it away if you didn't agree to them changing the tyres?

No, they wouldn't.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

Will tell you the mot and tax status of any vehicle
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Not complete bollox at all, this was forwarded to me by an mot inspector mate of mine.

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/mot-loophole-see-hit-2500-fine-plus-three-penalty-points-even-recent-test-valid/
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    Not complete bollox at all, this was forwarded to me by an mot inspector mate of mine.

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/mot-loophole-see-hit-2500-fine-plus-three-penalty-points-even-recent-test-valid/
    Ok, thank you. So I haven't been incorrectly informed.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »

Nothing in that article supports what you were told initially. You CAN book your MOT early.

If your car fails its new MOT, the old MOT remains valid. However, that does not mean it's safe to drive.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »

Sorry, but regardless of how your mate wants to read it, that article is mostly garbage.

An MOT fail does not mean a car is recorded as 'not road legal'. It is recorded as having failed an MOT. That does not in every case mean the car isn't road legal. There are plenty of fail points that do not make a car inherently illegal or unroadworthy dependent on use.

The situation has always been the same - if your car fails an early MOT because it's unroadworthy, it was unroadworthy before you went in, and is when you leave the test centre.

You could have been pulled over and prosecuted for the offences before the test when your 'old' MOT was valid just as you could after the test whilst your 'old' MOT was valid and your 'new' MOT was failed.

The ONLY thing that's changed is that now the MOT results are recorded on a computer so they're easier to check quickly.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options

Yes, you have.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unable to find my current MOT certificate, I discovered an online service that told me it's due date (mid November). I popped into the garage that carried out the MOT last year and asked when the earliest was I could have the MOT done and preserve the Nov date. I was told that this is no longer possible
    Rubbish. It still clearly gives the earliest date to preserve the expiry - a month before the expiry.
    that if the car failed its MOT I wouldn't be able to drive on it's last years MOT. Is this correct?
    A bit of yes... and quite a lot of no. If it fails because it's unroadworthy, then it's illegal to drive because of that unroadworthiness. It was illegal to drive because of that unroadworthiness before Mr MOT pointed it out to you, too, and would still have been if it hadn't been taken for the test.

But your old MOT is still valid until the expiry. It's not invalidated by the subsequent fail - but, as the MOT says clearly on it, it's not proof that the car is roadworthy.

You cannot be prosecuted for not having an MOT, but you could be prosecuted for having an unroadworthy car. The fail is irrelevant to that.
    I can't find anything about this change on-line.
    There hasn't been a change.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This one has been done to death many times on this forum.

In a nutshell, if you put the car in for an MOT Test up to 1 month before the old one expires, and it fails, then your old one is still valid - your car wouldn't ping up on an ANPR camera as having no MOT.

However, your car may be "unroadworthy", and if you happened to be stopped by the police they could prosecute you. If it failed the MOT on a blown brake bulb you'd be unlikely to be fined. If, however, it failed on 2 bald tyres, that would be a different matter.

End of the day, "driving without a valid MOT certificate" and "driving an unroadworthy vehicle" are two totally separate things, and are in no way connected.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isn't that why you are allowed to get it checked early so if any work needs to be done you can take it elsewhere to be done?

The reason your are allowed to get it check a month before and preserve the expiry is so that you MOT date doesn't get earlier and earlier each year if you have it done before. If this didn't happen everyone would be leaving it to the last minute to get it done so they get a full 12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure