Cailbhinn's debt journey!

Options

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw Calvin Harris at the Wireless Festival in the summer - totally amazing.

Well done on your NSD! I'm up to 7 for the month. Never quite got to 10 which is my monthly aim. Still got half the month to go though....
  • Cailbhinn
    Options
    louby40 wrote: »
    I saw Calvin Harris at the Wireless Festival in the summer - totally amazing.

Well done on your NSD! I'm up to 7 for the month. Never quite got to 10 which is my monthly aim. Still got half the month to go though....

I'm aiming for 8 and only started on Saturday. All the best for yours!
    Starting Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 | Current Debt (31 Jan 2017) - £10,465 (20% paid)
  • debtnav
    debtnav Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Well done for sorting this out now. I'm twice your age and if I'd known then what I know now my better half and i could have been very comfortable! Still, we've been very fortunate and have no real regrets. I don't envy young people these days - it's a lot harder now than it was when we started out. Good luck!
    :coffee: Your company gets me through the day. x
  • Cailbhinn
    Options
    debtnav wrote: »
    Well done for sorting this out now. I'm twice your age and if I'd known then what I know now my better half and i could have been very comfortable! Still, we've been very fortunate and have no real regrets. I don't envy young people these days - it's a lot harder now than it was when we started out. Good luck!

Thanks debtnav! My plan in life is to have a 15 year mortgage and retire at 60. Need to save, save, save for a deposit after clearing this debt. It's weird I was saying this to someone today - I'd hate to be a teenager these days. Circle of life, eh?
    Starting Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 | Current Debt (31 Jan 2017) - £10,465 (20% paid)
  • debtnav
    debtnav Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    You will get there but don't forget to enjoy the journey along the way! :j
    :coffee: Your company gets me through the day. x
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 12:18PM
    Options
    Cailbhinn wrote: »
    Only the worlds most paid DJ at the moment and Scottish too. I remember buying his first album and seeing him in the Carling Academy in Glasgow before he was famous famous. Wonder if he'd give a wee sub to his namesake? £12,000 is nothing to him lol.

No wonder I've never heard of him... I date from an era of real music <ducks> :D:cool:

Well done on your journey so far, it sounds as if you are making great strides already, and good luck with all the steps to come... as has been said, don't forget it is the journey that is fun, the destination is just the icing on the cake.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done for looking to tackle your situation before it gets beyond reach Cailbhinn!

Some suggestions for you
    - while you don't need to post an SOA in here if you don't want to, you will find that either working through that, or the MSE Budget Brain tool, is helpful to you. It stood out that you said previously that until recently you've not even had a budget - now that you have, it's helpful to have it noted somewhere that you can fiddle and adjust, but most of all keep an eye on how you're doing with it. It also helps you pick up on things that are infrequent costs - so for example annual bills for insurances, things like car servicing/MoT, and to budget for big one-offs like Christmas, or an annual holiday by setting money aside each month to cover these.
    - The food/shopping thing - what works for us is ONE visit to the supermarket only, most weeks, plus a meal plan so that food doesn't get wasted. Before I shop I note anything that needs using up, then write the meal plan around that, and only then write a shopping list which includes the bits we need to make the meals on the plan as well as the "usual" stuff like milk, fruit. I find if I do need a further visit to the shops then I almost always end up buying extra bits.
    - The issue of cash withdrawals - I have a separate savings account off my current account which is literally my "fun stuff" money - and I feed that with a set amount each month. I take out a set amount of spending money per week, or if I've not spent what is in my purse from the previous week, an amount just to make up what is in my purse to a set level. For planned weekends away, or nights out beyond my weekly spending money, my "fun" account is there to take up the slack and it's easy to use online banking just to switch the money from it to my current account. I found that working this way avoided me being constantly at the cashpoint, and also controls the amount I take out in a month more closely.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Cailbhinn
    Options
    Well done for looking to tackle your situation before it gets beyond reach Cailbhinn!

Thanks for the welcome. Essex and The Hebrides - an not-so-often heard combination!
    Some suggestions for you - it's helpful to have it noted somewhere that you can fiddle and adjust, but most of all keep an eye on how you're doing with it. It also helps you pick up on things that are infrequent costs - so for example annual bills for insurances, things like car servicing/MoT, and to budget for big one-offs like Christmas, or an annual holiday by setting money aside each month to cov]r these.

I think this is where YNAB is helpful. As i've said I am not at desperation stage and I note that some people who are desperate with unmanageable debt post their SOA who have £100 Sky TV, £80 mobiles etc and the community quite rightly point this out. Although I appreciate that these forums (?fora) are here to help and guide and give people an alternative look at their finances. I don't feel that's necessary in my opinion but that may change in the future of course. Annual things were maybe spread over two or three months - indeed just most recently my car insurance was saved over two months. But as I've said (maybe on someone else's thread) I've not used my CC in a long time. Don't even know the PINs.
    - The food/shopping thing - what works for us is ONE visit to the supermarket only, most weeks, plus a meal plan so that food doesn't get wasted.

I've tried a meal plan along with weekly shop but never works and I end up throwing food out. I seem to work better on day-to-day shopping. Although saying that a large proportion of food costs were lunches at work so in a way I have planned for that these past few weeks and spent £0 at work. I am lucky in that I pass three or four supermarkets on the way home so no more extra in petrol.
    The issue of cash withdrawals - I have a separate savings account off my current account which is literally my "fun stuff" money

I like this idea of a separate account and may just do that for the the 'fun' money.

I really do appreciate everyone's advice. Its quite cathartic doing these diaries and getting other people's perspective. Thanks so much :D
  • Cailbhinn
    Options
    Today - well rather yesterday - was a NSD! So that's 3 since Saturday which I am quite chuffed by.

My sleeping has never been good and despite going to bed at 9.30pm - I have been up since 12.30am. I have looked at my phone and thereafter fired the laptop up which means i am wide awake now. Alarm is set for 5.30am so might grab an hour before that. Another long day in work then over to dads as it's his birthday tomorrow.
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Morning!! Hope you did get a hour or two sleep. Well done on the NSDs, how are you tracking how much you are 'saving' by doing this? Obviously there's a million ideas on here but I bet you already have a preferred method.
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills