Misleading Amazon Delivery Charges

Options
Hi All,

I've used this site for quite a while now, but have just decided to join and vent! Hopefully someone will validate my point, or put me in my place. Ha

I have recently made a purchase on the Amazon app, for a Fire TV stick which was reduced from £35 to £30 with free delivery, or so I thought. Below this, there are 2 options. First is 1-click payment, which is what I have used. Then there is add to basket.

When I have looked at my bank statement, I have found that I had been charged £33.99. I then checked my Amazon account to find I had been charged for delivery.

My point is, if there is an option for 1-click payment, where it uses your default address and card to process the payment in one click, surely this should default to what is being shown on the page, and not apply a cost which is effectively hidden.

When your on the actual Amazon website, it shows free postage and gives you a link to click for details, but this is not present on the app. The only way you can see about postage costs is by adding it to your basket, and going through that process.

Am I over-reacting here, or do I have a point?

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Send them a complaint and they'll probably refund the postage charge.

I inherently don't trust 1-click payments and the like; I want to be clear on all aspects of the transaction.
  • john_smith21
    Options
    I've been looking back through my past purchases, and this isn't the first time.

It's obviously my fault for allowing it to happen more than once, but i've learnt my lesson now. 1-click is getting deactivated, and I will put a complaint in
  • JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been looking back through my past purchases, and this isn't the first time.

It's obviously my fault for allowing it to happen more than once, but i've learnt my lesson now. 1-click is getting deactivated, and I will put a complaint in

Go into "Your Account > Manage Addresses and 1-Click Settings". You most likely have standard delivery as your Dispatch Method. From here you should be able to change the Dispatch Method to Supersaver delivery.
  • john_smith21
    Options
    I've looked into the settings for the 1-click payment, and there isn't an option for free delivery. The only options available are:

Standard (which is selected)
    Next day
    Evening
    Express
  • GreatBeyond
    Options
    It's not really misleading - the information is here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=502542

One Click will default to First Class delivery, just get it touch and let them know that you weren't aware of this, they will probably issue a refund for the delivery.

Just go through the basket to place the order, that way you can select the appropriate delivery method.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is not possible to set your delivery default to 'Super Saver'.

If you select 'Super Saver', the option to the make current delivery method your default disappears.

I only use one-click for marketplace vendors where the postage is already specified, and kindle purchases. For all other transactions I agree with bod1467.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Azari wrote: »
    It is not possible to set your delivery default to 'Super Saver'.

If you select 'Super Saver', the option to the make current delivery method your default disappears.

I only use one-click for marketplace vendors where the postage is already specified, and kindle purchases. For all other transactions I agree with bod1467.

My Mistake. I have prime so wasn't able to recreate the situation completely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure