CCJ on a Ltd Company - how to break from it.

Options
Hi,

Hope someone can help me here.

I have a CCJ on my limted company - it was raised without my knowledge due to access issues to the documents advising of the court case. I wasn't even aware of the debt until it was too late.

I have now paid this debt off. But I understand that the CCJ stays on my company file, for which I am a director of.

From research on the web, I can see that it is not linked to me as a person.

However, I am going for a job with a financial firm. No doubt the employers will check my credit ratings, and I think they may well check the credit rating of my company. And, therefore I guess they will see me linked to the CCJ - which would probably cost me the position.

So, if anyone can help, my question is; is there anyway I can disconnect myself from the CCJ on the Ltd Company?

My understanding is that they an employer can search at company house for a director and then see what companies he is linked too and the record of the company etc... However, would the record of the CCJ still be visible to such checks if the company is disolved?

Would dissolving the Ltd Company help me break away from this CCJ?

Really appreciate any help or thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The CCJ is shown on the register as against the company at x date, does not matter if currently active or dissolved.
    At Companies House you will be shown as a director from a - z dates.
    No way of getting round it if they do their homework.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are not connected to LTD CCJ at all, so there is nothing to disconnect from, the LTD is. But as above, if they care enough it's public record, even if you remove it from companies house there are pages which archive it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No - you should have done it from the start - you've paid it, therefore acknowledged and accepted responsibility for it.

Regarding dissolving of the company - I am sure the data for the company has to be retained for a period, presumably 7 years
  • Prince7
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.

I had been advised that if the Ltd. company is dissolved then the filing records, financial accounts and CCJ against the Ltd. company are not freely available for those who wish to check upon it using the standard searches (e.g possible future employer). I was advised that such details would not come up on a standard check, and that this info was far more hidden if the company was dissolved. BUT, this advise came from an organisation offering to help me dissole the company quickly - so no doubt a possible bias!

So, final question....does dissolving the business have any advantage in covering up the CCJ and allowing me to move on?

Thanks again!
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nope. What is your best move is to be open about it and say "I ran a business that where I had a disagreement over payment, it went to court and then I have paid. I learned from my mistake now, and next time would simply pay straight up, as I was clearly in the wrong.". That usually does the trick if you really mean it.
  • Prince7
    Options
    Arlene, thnaks for the input.
    As it happens, there was no disagreement about the payment - I just wasn't made aware of it but no doubt that doesn't sound great to an employer too.

Thanks again.
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    Prince7 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses.

I had been advised that if the Ltd. company is dissolved then the filing records, financial accounts and CCJ against the Ltd. company are not freely available for those who wish to check upon it using the standard searches (e.g possible future employer). I was advised that such details would not come up on a standard check, and that this info was far more hidden if the company was dissolved. BUT, this advise came from an organisation offering to help me dissole the company quickly - so no doubt a possible bias!

So, final question....does dissolving the business have any advantage in covering up the CCJ and allowing me to move on?

Thanks again!

No it won’t make the slightest difference if the company is dissolved or not. The records remain and are easily visible on Companies House’s website.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Prince7 wrote: »
    I just wasn't made aware of it but no doubt that doesn't sound great to an employer too.

As a director of the company.Onus and responsibility is on you.

Let sleeping dogs lie. Deal with the issue as and when it arises.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure