Withhold the offer

Options
tazwhoever
tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 7 November 2017 at 10:10AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
After accepting the job offer, filling in health questionnaire mentioning hep b can the employer withdraw the offer?

Thanks

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    After accepting the job offer, filling in health questionnaire mentioning hep b can the employer withhold the offer?

Thanks
    Yes, of course they can. Why would you think they would?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I presume you mean to say "withdraw" as opposed to withhold.

It typically says on the bottom of correspondence something along the lines of "Please note that this provisional offer may be withdrawn if any of the pre-employment requirements [references, DBS checks, right to work documentation, etc] are not satisfactory".

After all, its easy to present yourself on an application form as being the best thing since sliced bread, but if you've applied for a customer service role and your new employer requires somebody who looks after their appearance, then your references come back as you turning up every day looking like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards your new employer would be in their right to withdraw their offer...
  • tazwhoever
    Options
    Neil Jones - thanks for correcting my words. I'm sometimes confused with words relating to my neurosurgery.

I guess withdrawing the offer, may be because they don't want to put others on risk?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I read somewhere that Hep B isn't a barrier to work as such because of advances in medical science over the years and injections means its pretty much controllable now and a lot of prevention of its spread comes down to good hygienic practices. Your employer probably needs to know whether you suffer from it for their insurance and also if you knock yourself out and have to be taken to hospital and end up having a blood transfusion for example.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    I guess withdrawing the offer, may be because they don't want to put others on risk?

Possibly - a train, bus or lorry driver who was colourblind and couldn't tell the difference between red and green signals could be a risk to the safety of others as well as themselves. Or someone whose physical condition or limitations were incompatible with the physical requirements of the job, and who might risk injury in attempting it.

Or it could just be that an employer might consider that the applicant's general level of health makes them far more likely to take sick leave, so they decide they'd rather employ someone perceived as a lower risk of being absent...
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Possibly - a train, bus or lorry driver who was colourblind and couldn't tell the difference between red and green signals could be a risk to the safety of others as well as themselves. Or someone whose physical condition or limitations were incompatible with the physical requirements of the job, and who might risk injury in attempting it.

Or it could just be that an employer might consider that the applicant's general level of health makes them far more likely to take sick leave, so they decide they'd rather employ someone perceived as a lower risk of being absent...
    Unless, of course, it constituted a disability, in which case they'd have to find an excuse (assuming them to be looking for one) because refusing to employ someone due to a disability would, in most cases, be unlawful. And having a condition is not the same thing as having sick leave.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Unless, of course, it constituted a disability, in which case they'd have to find an excuse (assuming them to be looking for one) because refusing to employ someone due to a disability would, in most cases, be unlawful.

'The adjustments we [the employer] would be required to make were not determined to be reasonable'...
  • tazwhoever
    Options
    I was accepted for the job taking my illness in account but when I started, I was told they couldn’t keep others safe from my illness.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    I was accepted for the job taking my illness in account but when I started, I was told they couldn’t keep others safe from my illness.

What was the job role?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Couldn't they have had a discussion around this as part of the recruitment process?

What cant they manage?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family