PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Am I taking advantage with repairs?

Options
I don't think so, I have open thread on this but don't get many replies.

First in in Scotland, a tiny recap is that due to a bathroom flood it damaged my 4 week old shower rail, towel rail, scratched my toilet seat and in the bedroom next to bathroom is damp patches and tiny bits of green (don't look like mould)

After back and forth between my landlord and the owner of the flat that caused the flood someone was sent out who told me at first they would only fix the ceiling, and I was trying to take advantage by wanting replacements for things that were damaged and the wall pained in (just the corner) where the damp was.

So am I taking advantage there? I would say not for shower rail and towel rail but was unsure about toilet seat as its intact just scratched and a broken clip cover at back that can be easily replaced.

I didn't make a fuss also about the shower window blinds that had black marks at bottom and signs of damp as they were old but they are not able to be put in washing machine.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No.

If the 'flood' was caused by a leak from the flat above, then it sems fair to claim for damage done by the flood.

However, in English law (can't speak for Scotland) you could only actually claim in court if you could prove negligence ie the flat-owner above knew there was a problem but did nothing about it.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That will be tough but not impossible, there was ongoing phone calls and emails between my landlord and upstairs in the main case for 9 days where they claimed that a plumber was sent out and found no leaks but the tenant above says no plumber attended as did previous tenants who said they reported a leak on more than one occasion and no one was sent out,

There is email proof that the upstairs owner claimed they sent a plumber out who found no leaks thus claiming it wasn't his flat with the problem though, and I can get statements from current and ex tenant who reported problems with the toilet handle/cistern (which caused the flood) to say they reported it and it never got repaired as well as statements from other tenants in building (who are willing and outright told me they wanted to) about how every tenant who has lived in my property past 8 yars has had floods from flat above.

But how far that would go in court I don't know.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't you claim on your contents insuarance for the bits and pieces?
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can't you claim on your contents insuarance for the bits and pieces?

I could do, but the damage was caused by someone not myself and my insurance is very basic anyway (as I found out when I enquired about them assessing damage to my flat)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure