oh my life...... Light Bulb moment.

Options

Comments

• 12_month_challenge
    Options
    There's such a lot of stress around Christmas - keeping up with the Joneses etc. I think the reality for most is very different to what we see in the films etc. I'm adjusting to a different sort of Christmas this year but I don't mind one bit - the important thing for me is the time off work and with my family. I like a useful Christmas because I feel so annoyed when I see a house full of gifts that never get opened etc. I'd far rather spend a little bit of money on things people want and will use...

I totally agree. I have already spoken about it with my 2 and they are ok with it. They are grown so shouldn't really expect expensive gifts but I seem to feel guilty if I don't get them.
    (not this year though)
    SP 9#531=£620/SP 10 # 531=?PDBX 2016 #2 = £16,766.67/£12,000
    PDBX 2017 #2 = £1,200/£12,000

''If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain''
  • MiMi66
    MiMi66 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi MiMi

I just wanted to pop in and wish you luck on your journey.

I have only just started out and have up days :) and down days :(

I find that keeping a diary is really helping. Most of the time I ramble on about nothing but it helps.

I have learned so much on here and have had nothing but positive,non judgemental advice and tips to clear my debt.

I will subscribe to spur you on and I will be taking small steps to becoming debt free with you. :)

Small steps and we WILL get there :T:T
    x

It sounds like we are in similar places with similar time frames as well?! I'll subscribe to your diary too, and it will be great to have the company of someone on the same boat.

I've just put some bread on to bake and have done the dishes. Had home layed eggs poached on a muffin for breakfast. Yum. And now for some reason mattress with cat blanket has become appealing. Resist resist :rotfl:
    MiMi66 2023 and moving forward ☺️
    £38154 - DEBT FREE May 2021
  • 12_month_challenge
    Options
    Hi MiMi

One post that particularly sticks with me and one I take so much inspiration from is below. We are certainly not the only ones in this boat
    Keep paddling MiMi we will get there one day :)
    Another DFW who made it to the finish line
    Have a read
    x

Hello!

I am sneaking in to say a few words then I am going to disappear again. Today marks the 1st day of my second year travelling the world. I am writing this from Sydney, Australia.

MSE has played a MASSIVE part in my life over the last few years and as much as I haven't posted in a very very very long time it's for a good reason. Whereas I will never leave the MSE family entirely my life is now about something else.

This is what I wanted to tell you all - it gets better.

No matter how much debt you have, no matter where you are mentally - it gets better. You are in the best place possible to tackle your debt - you are surrounded by like minded people but watch out cause this debt busting stuff gets addictive.

I should know - I had to clear £16,600. Then raise more in order to travel - about £15,000. That was 1 year and 1 day away now. I have covered 9 countries, taken 17 flights, and my next country is New Zealand on the 2rd January 2016. I have another 3-4 countries to hit this year before coming home for a visit.

Seriously so not give up, get meticulous, know what you owe, set a DFD (debt free day) and most importantly HAVE A GOAL - you are your own boss and I truly believe each and every person that comes on here has the ability to get rid of their debt.

I don't mean to be cheesy in any way - everybody's life is so very different but I never thought I would make it here - never. I was saving for a house so my goals changed and hey presto I am now living out of a rucksack...

You CAN do it. Just make being debt free your number one goal.

Over and out - Upwards and Onwards.

NSK.

• MiMi66
    Options
    That is inspiring! Thank you 12 Month Challenge and NSK where ever you may be today! I do feel positive that I can do it and thinking that I can perhaps set the DF day to being in 2020 - December 1st. That's 5 years. Plus the extra year I've had to now add - I shall leave 2015 in much the same state as I started it financially.
    I shall be 49 soon. So 53 when I am Debt free. £5-6,000 a year back to the cards. Here's saving! I should be able to do it if I am diligent.

I think for me this time I going to focus on £1000 at a time. This time I have worked out that after the little bit of interest I will pay back £530 a month. I will plan to pay that amount at least for 6 months then recheck. And I will try to top up payments with rounding down my debit account - either that or rebuild my depleted emergency fund.

So I should be into January having got the overall figure down to £28600 ish. It seems other have managed to bring down enormous cc debts so there is no reason I shouldn't be one of those.

Thanks for reading my plans!
  • 12_month_challenge
    Options
    You sound like you have a plan already MiMi

I tend to look at my debt free day in amount of payments instead of months and years. So yours would be approx 60 payments. It sounds so much better and not so long :)

good luck on your journey
    x

• Popstess
    Popstess Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mimi :hello:
    Another night owl / 2am person here! I've read your thread from start to finish and cried I can relate so much to a lot of what you have said. I'm also a single Mum have been for over 10years. I wouldn't say a well paid job but full time and reasonable pay and debted up to my eyeballs with NOTHING to show for it.
    I had my light bulb moment in October when like you I got turned down by Sainsburys loan (I've sinse learnt they like people with very good credit scores and not a lot of credit) and also Halifax. To be fair they were both right not to lend me anymore money because I was in debt to the tune of £27,000 it makes me feel sick to my stomach to think I've spent that!!!!
    I've had a shock and I'm now learning a hard lesson. I'm desperate to be debt free.
    I just want to say what comes across from your posts is what a wonderful mother you sound like and your children sound a delight what a credit to you. Anyone can be in control of their finances but it takes someone special to be a good parent.
    I'll be subscribing to cheer you on. I have a kinda diary going on too if you want to check that out.
    Take care twit twoo from a fellow night owl :)
  • MiMi66
    Options
    Popstess wrote: »
    Hi Mimi :hello:
    Another night owl / 2am person here! I've read your thread from start to finish and cried I can relate so much to a lot of what you have said. I'm also a single Mum have been for over 10years. I wouldn't say a well paid job but full time and reasonable pay and debted up to my eyeballs with NOTHING to show for it.
    I had my light bulb moment in October when like you I got turned down by Sainsburys loan (I've since learnt they like people with very good credit scores and not a lot of credit) and also Halifax. To be fair they were both right not to lend me anymore money because I was in debt to the tune of £27,000 it makes me feel sick to my stomach to think I've spent that!!!!
    I've had a shock and I'm now learning a hard lesson. I'm desperate to be debt free.
    I just want to say what comes across from your posts is what a wonderful mother you sound like and your children sound a delight what a credit to you. Anyone can be in control of their finances but it takes someone special to be a good parent.
    I'll be subscribing to cheer you on. I have a kinda diary going on too if you want to check that out.
    Take care twit twoo from a fellow night owl :)

Hi Popstess - your post has made me smile and feel very warm - thank you so much and it is wonderful to have recognition for things I hope I do well - and I do often think that our true natures are reflected in those people around us - some when I have my down times - and I do - I look at both my children and my close friends who are just wonderful people who I am honored by their connections with me - surely they would not be friends if I were a dreadful human being.

So being a hideous debtor is only one aspect of my nature - as I am sure it has been or is for many people reading this - but I think it is important to not be defined by that - I don't mean ignore the realist of debt and addressing it, but do hold on to what your actual core nature and virtues are, most people on the planet are good people. Being a person in debt doesn't change that.

Isn't it a nasty shock when the banks turn you down!! I was embarrassed and offended when it happened to me - didn't darken the doorstep of doing an application for a year I think for fear of further rejection and the footprint it leaves on your credit file. However - I did eventually get a loan - which is a mixed blessing - as so many other people have experienced (why did I have to do it myself to find this out, not once but twice over the years...) - I got a loan for nearly three quarters of what I owed at the time - and guess what - after paying off my credits card significantly - I caved into spending bad habits and racked them up again - more debt than ever. The mixed blessing of the loan is that it is coming down rapidly - that way of repaying seems to work for me - But the only way to do this is to get a low rate loan for the full lot and then cut up and cancel the cards and never ever reapply for one again. I've never really had an issue with overdrafts but if that was a problem ensure that any overdraft is tiny for errors only.

So this week I have had a purchase free day on Sunday:T, and a small shop for food on Monday, I have bought a winter coat for my son - to be picked up from the store and that will be a Christmas present.

I posted my niece's Christmas presents overseas yesterday - and got stamps for a few cards - feel miserly but at £2.25 per stamp for the cards to go overseas, I have stuck to my brother and closest friend there. I bought stamps for local cards but again I have dramatically reduced my card list - for the environment and my budget!

I think I am on track for keeping to my aim of a tightened Christmas - I know the tricky bit for me is the last minute shopping (oh, just one more gift for so and so...) but even taking that into account I think I can do it....January will be my Judge!

I have had a bit of a blow this year - my car is a lease car through my work - I pay for this though - they are not subsidized - and I need a good reliable care - I do about 17000 miles a year for work now - and get the princely sum of 9 p per mile...... got to love the NHS. Anyway, the way my trust now works out the payments for the lease has changed and my car will change in cost from £65 a month plus the tax implications of about £35 - which I know is good for a new car, to £165 a month plus the tax (not sure how much until it kicks in). Argghhhhhhhh. I have a brief secondment to go to at the next band of pay which I think will pay for about 2/3's of this increase, but what a shame that is.....I had hope for the benefits of that to go my debt repayments and emergency fund. On the up side - if the secondment leads onto to more - and perhaps a permanent post at that level or higher (in my dreams) I should eventually get to the point where my income is healthier for savings and debt.

I think it is quite odd how lift gives and takes in equal measure at times....especially with my finances! Funny, not.:(
  • MiMi66
    Options
    You sound like you have a plan already MiMi

I tend to look at my debt free day in amount of payments instead of months and years. So yours would be approx 60 payments. It sounds so much better and not so long :)

good luck on your journey
    x
    I really like the 60 payments idea as a way to soothe my self! That doesn't sound too bad. I just redid my figures and I owe just over £200 less than I thought - small pleasures - it means that my early December payments should bring my under the £29K level - just....:A
  • MiMi66
    Options
    Well, a broken sleep night of fretting, dark thoughts and self critisism. Hmmmm. Why do things always seem more bleak at night?
    Over the next few days I am going to cancel a couple of things to help against the expected increased car cost. I have a PC world monthly payment for laptop cover that has been going for 14/15 months for my daughter's laptop. £8 a month. Also Audible. £7.99 a month. I have my son's child account coming to an end in 12 months time -£25 once that is completed. It'll all help a bit.
    Yesterday I was cheeky - I bought a t shirt back in the summer from Espirit. £15. Whilst it was lovely, with every wash it stretched and stretched so that it looked like a bag. I took it back to my local shop and politely pointed it out as not good quality and they gave me £15 in store vouchers! Very kind and great service and I'll put those away as something to use when I desperately need something fresh to wear - hopefully on a slimmer me!

London on Sunday to see my wonderful daughter who turns 21. How to do this without spending too much while there. What a challenge. I really don't want to be stressing over cash but just to be very sensible and 'measured' (my new favourite word!).
  • MiMi66
    Options
    Hmmmm.
    Just updated my signatures and now down a further £560. Which is the good news.
    With my January payments I will get overall total down £28400.

But - Christmas and birthday will take a toll. Trying hard to keep it in check but I know I will be increasing debt a bit. Will use my emergency fund to pay off what I can and have an overtime shift booked this Sunday plus some back pay expected for about £40. Those payments won't come to me u til end of Jan but I will either restart my emergency fund with it or use to hit the Christmas financial hangover. I do not want to go over my original worst debt total from last month!!!
    Managed to order new car and due to a change in the model during the quote period I have actually got the price down to £152 a month. Small but helpful reduction. Slightly better spec car too.
    I am almost finished on Christmas shopping!! I always suffer this horrible sick feeling from spending money, seeing too much consumerism and the amount of junk in shops. So easy to be frugal in January and February because of this. I will enjoy family and friends though and just chilling out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport