Ditching landline for VOIP

Options

Comments

• dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Definitely BT.

Number originally with Virgin (Telewest) and subsequently ported to BT. As the 'current provider' of the number, porting arrangements were agreed between Sipgate and BT.

The number ported to Sipgate on the agreed date. As BT had obviously released the number, the BT line went into soft disconnect status and dialling 17070 on the BT line gave a completely different number; it was not possible to make a call from the line, and calls to the new 'soft disconnect' number did not connect.

All well and good.

After a week or so we checked the online BT account for the closing bill; the account was still showing the ported number as active on the line!

A call to BT Customer Services was hard work. The guy said "The number is still active on our line and has not been disconnected!" When asked why 17070 was reporting a new number and it was not possible to make a call from the line, he couldn't explain, his response was "It's probably just a coincidence that it happened on the date you say the number ported to the voip provider" I also explained that calls to the ported number were correctly terminating on the voip line.

In order to resolve the issue I had to request a disconnection from BT, for a line that was already disconnected!

I can't see that this issue was from Virgin's side. On the porting date, Virgin had correctly re-routed the number to Sipgate instead of it going to BT as it had done previously. The porting agreement was agreed with BT (as the current provider), even though they denied all knowledge.

Madness!
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dave_dph wrote: »
    Definitely BT.

Number originally with Virgin (Telewest) and subsequently ported to BT. As the 'current provider' of the number, porting arrangements were agreed between Sipgate and BT.

The number ported to Sipgate on the agreed date. As BT had obviously released the number, the BT line went into soft disconnect status and dialling 17070 on the BT line gave a completely different number; it was not possible to make a call from the line, and calls to the new 'soft disconnect' number did not connect.

All well and good.

After a week or so we checked the online BT account for the closing bill; the account was still showing the ported number as active on the line!

A call to BT Customer Services was hard work. The guy said "The number is still active on our line and has not been disconnected!" When asked why 17070 was reporting a new number and it was not possible to make a call from the line, he couldn't explain, his response was "It's probably just a coincidence that it happened on the date you say the number ported to the voip provider" I also explained that calls to the ported number were correctly terminating on the voip line.

In order to resolve the issue I had to request a disconnection from BT, for a line that was already disconnected!

I can't see that this issue was from Virgin's side. On the porting date, Virgin had correctly re-routed the number to Sipgate instead of it going to BT as it had done previously. The porting agreement was agreed with BT (as the current provider), even though they denied all knowledge.

Madness!

So Virgin as the range holder stop porting the number to BT and should start porting to the the VOIP provider, so in what way is this BT if the number isn't with the VOIP provider on the appropriate date ?
    When the BT service is stopped , obviously the number is replaced , hence the soft dialtone and different number when dialling 17070 , at this point the number is handed back with VM, you were asking BT to cease in effective a unrelated "soft' number

Looking a a billing system to see the status of a ported number is pointless, as there is a lag, the billing system is not as upto date as other 'wholesale' systems,
    It's just as likely that your VOIP provider had to re request the port from VM and BT had no involvement at all, in other words VM had to be asked twice
    You state 'Definitely BT' but you are basing this on what you have been told by a company or company's that have a vested interest , not an impartial arbiter , as I said, perhaps BT where culpable , perhaps not, the point is you cannot know for sure, saying you are sure doesn't make it true
  • BaldacchinoR
    Options
    If you are using Localphone and don't have a call plan, watchout. They supply alternative numbers starting with '03' to replace the actual numbers you want to phone. They are listed as a cheap way of phoning on MSE but you will also have to pay your service provider (SP) charges for '03' numbers which will then make it very expensive. Check out your SP's rates to work out the total cost of the calls. You can pay your SP for a call plan which adds to the cost but should be much cheaper than phoning without a plan. i did e-mail Localphone and suggested they could use '0800' access numbers instead, like TopUpNow, who only charge 1p a minute to phone mobiles. TopUpNow call quality is usually good.

Also 18185 are listed by MSE as another cheap way but the call quality is sometimes not very good.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I dropped my landline and ported my number to VoIP (through AAISP) when I moved and went to Virgin.

I'm using a Gigaset N300 base station with standard gigaset DECT handsets. It works perfectly.
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had VM for a long time. I have been using VoIP for a really long time too (Lets ignore the half-duplex "Push to Talk" calls in the 90's).

First thing is First. Many users find that the VM gear will stop SIP calls from working correctly. So make yourself an account with a cheap provider (Hopefully one that gives a free DID/DDI number) and try the service out. See how you like the quality of the calls and some of the hassles that come with it.

I use Localphone (Cheap and Cheerful, not best quality) with a Gigaset S850A (Great call quality, cheap-feeling, poor dial plans) along with a second router but have little to no real issues. For the life of me I couldn't get it to work directly connected to the SH2ac I have (Hub3 might be better), but I know the SH2 and early SH caused trouble for me too. Some of it could be down to my Gigaset, some could be down to Localphone. I also use a SIP client on my android phone. Using a 321 plan from Three I find that the cost of the call and data usage are usually lower than paying for the cost of the call directly, but sometimes it breaks up a lot.

Inbound numbers will still incur a rental, and you will probably incur a porting cost too. I think Sipgate is £30, I would expect others to be similar. I think many providers also charge a small fee £2-£3 a month to keep the number active.

You said you don't want to buy any new equipment, but I will honestly say unless you have a top of the line phone then a dedicated solution will probably give you much better quality. I make a lot of calls to the USA so the difference is easy to hear between my Gigaset and my Android phone. My android phone does better over Mobile Data than it does WiFi - not sure if that's normal for everyone or not.

Regarding VM, If your not on a retention deal then you should be. It would cost me more to get rid of my phone number than it does keeping it. I could add the TV service for 60 pence a month too - Retention deals might make you reconsider fully dumping the number.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jcontest wrote: »

First thing is First. Many users find that the VM gear will stop SIP calls from working correctly.

Not here, Sipgate works perfectly connected to my VM superhub.

Inbound numbers will still incur a rental,

Sipgate do not charge a rental.
    I think many providers also charge a small fee £2-£3 a month to keep the number active.

Sipgate do not have a monthly fee.

The only charges are for outgoing calls.
    You said you don't want to buy any new equipment, but I will honestly say unless you have a top of the line phone then a dedicated solution will probably give you much better quality. I make a lot of calls to the USA so the difference is easy to hear between my Gigaset and my Android phone.

I use a LINKSYS PAP2T VOIP box to connect my BT5800 DECT handsets, they work perfectly with excellent sound quality.
    ====
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm very interested in doing the same thing.

Porting an ex-BT number (now with Virgin Media) onto Sipgate as it seems to be the cheapest service around.

Am I correct in thinking there is no charge at all if I just use the service for incoming calls ?

Thanks
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    I'm very interested in doing the same thing.

Porting an ex-BT number (now with Virgin Media) onto Sipgate as it seems to be the cheapest service around.

Am I correct in thinking there is no charge at all if I just use the service for incoming calls ?

Thanks

Yes, I use about £10 a year simply on outgoing calls, there are no other charges for Sipgate Basic.
    ====
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Yes, I use about £10 a year simply on outgoing calls, there are no other charges for Sipgate Basic.

Thanks. I've just been looking more at the Sipgate website and it actually states there is a £30 porting fee ?

https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/209551805
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 February 2018 at 10:54AM
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    Thanks. I've just been looking more at the Sipgate website and it actually states there is a £30 porting fee ?

All VoIP providers will charge a porting fee. They are not, after all, going to be getting £10+ a month line rental from you.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure