Bank Scam On Purchases Abroad

Options

Comments

• EdBrown
    EdBrown Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone else objecting to this scam might like to contact their credit card company with a similar complaint to that which I have just sent to Nationwide and is copied below. The more complaining, the more likely we are to stop foreign banks from operating this scam.
    "I would like to question the legality of some credit card operations abroad; I recently purchased a portable DVD/TV Tuner in Gran Canaria and the card agent of the retailer (Tele Banco I believe) converted the purchase price in Euros at their own exchange rate to Sterling then billed my Nationwide account in Sterling. This meant that I effectively paid 10 Euros (about £7) more than I would have done had my account been billed in Euros and converted by yourselves. My point is this: At no time did I ever consent to the foreign bank handling the credit card transaction also becoming the exchange rate bank. I know that Martin Lewis (The Money Saving Expert) is also looking into this as I posted an alert to this scam on his web site, but I thought a complaint from the actual customer to yourselves would be more appropriate."
  • thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tesco's in Calais have started offering their customers the opportunity of settlement in € or £ in the second part of this year. After the first time I realised that their rate merely skimmed off around 3% more than the Nationwide BS would have charged had the the transaction remained in €uros. I now specify that the transaction stays in € and they can accept the payment in either form.

I noticed a couple of such transactions whilst in Catalunya in September, but they only amounted to a pound a or two extra and I was not tuned in to them at the time or would have protested. I think the issuing banks will merely point to the written authorisation on the slip you have signed, but it is probably a good idea to protest at each event in order to keep the card companies and retailers in check.
  • RubberDucky_3
    Options
    I am a little confused.

Is this Nationwide scamming people or the hotels in spain/ireland/anywhere which are using their own "in house" exchange rate?

If it's the latter then surely it applies for payment via any credit card...

RD
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It is not Nationwide, it is the retailers or their banks.

Most people don't complain because they both win and lose. You get their poor exchange rate but your own credit card would have also given a poor exchange rate because they load it with fees (see Martin's article), so it roughly cancels out.

However if you are sensible and use Nationwide you have lost out because they would have given you the best rate without skimming off any profit for themselves.

EDITED: cos wot I said was rubbish
  • RubberDucky_3
    Options
    However if you are sensible and use Nationwide you have lost out because they would have given you the best rate without skimming off any profit for themselves.

Do you not mean "if you are sensible and use Nationwide you have *NOT* lost out because..."

RD?
  • Walletwatch
    Options

Do you not mean "if you are sensible and use Nationwide you have *NOT* lost out because..."

RD?

No RD, what Reaper says is correct. To illustrate, if I were to buy something worth $190 (£100) in the US. If I were to pay using a Nationwide card, I would be debited £100. But with another card that charges, say, a 2.75% fee for such transactions, I would be debited an overall amount of £102.75.

On the other hand, quite likely that the retailers from whom you buy trick you by doing the ccy conversion themselves, thereby charging you an extortionate exchange rate. This would mean that they would directly settle with your card issuer in pounds and save you the 2.75% if you are using a non-Nationwide card, but sock you a bad rate, leading to you anyway having an effective outflow of £103 (exch rate used being 1.8455 instead of the better rate of 1.9 that the card issuer would have offered you)

We thus have four scenarios for the same purchase:

1. Using a Nationwide card, with ccy conversion done by issuer --> outflow of £100

2. Using a Nationwide card, with ccy conversion done by retailer or his bank --> outflow of £103

3. Using a non-Nationwide card, with ccy conversion done by issuer charging 2.75% --> outflow of £102.75

4. Using a non-Nationwide card, with ccy conversion done by retailer or his bank --> outflow of £103

One would like to fall under category 1 by using Nationwide, but still would lose out of the benefit if the retailer were to do the ccy conversion, causing him to inadvertently fall under category 2.

Boy, hope that made sense at the end of all that typing... Phew...
    It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good explanation, WW.

I'd be interested to see a response from Nationwide in writing on this - anyone who has suffered this care to send in a written complaint rather than getting some inaction/compensation on the phone?

They are more likely to take it up with VISA IMHO if they get written complaints.
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a nationwide issue to me.

They are just correctly processing the transaction sent to them in either Euros or £ by the retailer.

I guess the retailers are being clever because they make a bigger margin on the exchange rate rather than the bank.

It is probably fair to say that Nationwide are the silly ones here. They are taking the higher cost of processing overseas transactions (Visa charge them more) and they are taking some foreign exchange risk, but they are not passing on these additional costs to their customers.

I agree that a 2.75% fee is too high but why shouldn't customers pay a small charge for using their card overseas?

Even with a 2.75% fee, the cost of using a credit card abroad often works out less than using cash or travellers cheques because the exchange rate is so much better than that offered by bureau de change.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    The same applies to Paypal purchases. When you purchase via Paypal in foreign currency, they convert it to GBP at their exchange rates and charge your credit card in sterling.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    It is probably fair to say that Nationwide are the silly ones here. They are taking the higher cost of processing overseas transactions (Visa charge them more) and they are taking some foreign exchange risk, but they are not passing on these additional costs to their customers.

I agree that a 2.75% fee is too high but why shouldn't customers pay a small charge for using their card overseas?

R.

Nationwide have done their sums and are not going to expose themselves to unecessary risk. All they are doing is not taking the cream that other cards do, and are passing it to the customers instead.

You do pay for using any card overseas. The exchange rates are loaded so that visa et al. get commision on currency conversions just like other companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure