Reducing car insurance payments (young drivers)

Options
missmoose
missmoose Posts: 147 Forumite
Hi I wasn't sure which section to put this in but I settled in motoring.

Basically I got my renewal notice, I've been with my company for 2 years (since I passed my test) I rang to see if I could be a little bit cheeky and got monthly DD for the same (total) price as the one lump sum. They couldn't but they did give me a loyal customer discount and told me to take my parents off my insurance as I'd been driving for a while now)
I cut £200 off all together with the discount and taking off other named drives.
Would recommend doing this next time your renewal comes along. Ring and be a bit cheeky and also look into which named drivers you have and need/want.
For me my dad can easily get himself a days insurance if need be and my mum was covered by her own insurance anyway!
They said if I got a quote from one of their sister companies they'd match that too. Which might be helpful to some of you out there.

Comments

• s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you normally get car insurance cheaper if you put your parents or any drivers with a clean licence as named drivers
    ...................scratches head..............
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have your parents got lots of points on their licence or had lots of claims?
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    s_b wrote: »
    you normally get car insurance cheaper if you put your parents or any drivers with a clean licence as named drivers

Sounds like this was Admiral so always expect the unexpected ;)
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    s_b wrote: »

Not always though. Just sorted insurance for a 26 y/o relative and putting either of myself (31 year clean record and full no claims) or my partner (8 year licence, full no claims) as named drivers actually increased the quotes by over £100.

Curiously, reducing the voluntary excess from £500 to £200 reduced the best quotes by about the same amount. It's insurance, it's their party, go figure.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And I'll bet you could have got it a lot cheaper if you'd actually looked at the complete market instead of just renewing.
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Not always though. Just sorted insurance for a 26 y/o relative and putting either of myself (31 year clean record and full no claims) or my partner (8 year licence, full no claims) as named drivers actually increased the quotes by over £100.

Curiously, reducing the voluntary excess from £500 to £200 reduced the best quotes by about the same amount. It's insurance, it's their party, go figure.

It's all based on the statistics of claims related to every bit of information you give them. If there's a correlation in the data showing people with higher excesses have more crashes, then they'll charge you more, whether it seems to make sense or not. It always seemed odd when TPF&T cost more than fully comp, but as you say, it's their party, take it or leave it.

For the OP, you really should try all the comparison sites before challenging your renewal, as then you know what they need to match.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    And I'll bet you could have got it a lot cheaper if you'd actually looked at the complete market instead of just renewing.

yeah their original renewal price is bs. You can just about say anything and get them to reduce the original quote down.

"my dog died"
    "im sorry to hear that, since your dog died it means less risk for us so we can reduce your premium down to £100, how does that sound?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure