Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    ... but horrified I hadn't done it before...

Dear KC hindsight is 20/20! You didn't do it before because now it's time! Can't beat yourself up over it. Well done on saving £90 - that's a fair chunk!:T
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Hey KC! a' la Benny The Ball :D

I am so glad you have a diary again - i liked popping into your old one :)

Your post really struck a chord with me - I started my thread on here for the focus this would give me - i felt after clearing the debt i needed the new challenge and target :)

I have subscribed to your thread too - just today i had a mild panic about providing for my retirement :( - My plans may be slightly different to yours and by the time i get to being able to do something about them i.e having the money to do them i am worried it'll all be a bit late in the day :eek: I want to move into our 'forever until retirement home' And have 3 btl and 1 holiday home for income & hols :D I don't have a good pension - i changed jobs a few times when i was much younger and lost all my pension money as it just went into fees as there was no ability to access the funds or transfer to my new company pension :( After losing out a couple of times i then decided not to bother with a pension and do that when i was in a job / company i knew i wanted to stick with - got to that point and was thinking about what contributions to make in order to 'catch up' and i was made redundant. I definitely don't want to stay in the job i'm in now either and having an income when we are older does concern me.

I'd also like to find out more and invest in stocks and shares too

John Wyndham fan :j

I am also in the position of wanting to maintain and improve our home too

With your apartment in france i am sorry you said it wasn't a good investment but it is over half way to being all yours now :T Is this the mortgage you are focusing on paying off :)

And please tell me that its a lovely camper van you are going to get :D

And well done on the £90 too :T
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Ay up Karma - found ya!

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    And I gotta tell you, Z, I don't think its strange :D eminently sensible, is what I'd call it :rotfl: I'm dead logical me :D Spock's my favourite, not Kirk :rotfl:

Strange more in that there's so many who want to do it. You'd think there would be at least some people who'd retire to never get up off the Turkish beach - but no...travel.
    I found his books when I was about 14! I love apocafic, always have,

Fan of the cosy apocalypse?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    :wave:
    Just delurking so say hi and well done on the insurance ~ my personal MFW challenge this year is to not let any of them just automatically renew but to check that they're the best value option and if not, to swap, so your success has inspired me to stick to my guns on that one, so thank you :)
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2014 at 10:24PM
    Options
    Pops by tips a nod, fluffs up the cushions, settles in.

You're back - yay!

Well done love on the savings - great start!
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Shiny new diary :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    :jFound you :T *subscribes* :D
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi folks! RT, Greying, Pippi :kisses3::kisses3::kisses3:you're lovely for finding me without me actually telling you, I feel quite hidden away here because dfw has been home for so long, but obviously I'm not :j
    Hey KC! a' la Benny The Ball :D

I am so glad you have a diary again - i liked popping into your old one :)
    :kisses3: thank you!

Your post really struck a chord with me - I started my thread on here for the focus this would give me - i felt after clearing the debt i needed the new challenge and target :)
    I think as dfwers, we really had a focus, and lots of ways to express that focus and determination - now, its fuzzier, but with the financial crisis going on and on, its even more important.

I have subscribed to your thread too - just today i had a mild panic about providing for my retirement :( - My plans may be slightly different to yours and by the time i get to being able to do something about them i.e having the money to do them i am worried it'll all be a bit late in the day :eek: I want to move into our 'forever until retirement home' And have 3 btl and 1 holiday home for income & hols :D I don't have a good pension - i changed jobs a few times when i was much younger and lost all my pension money as it just went into fees as there was no ability to access the funds or transfer to my new company pension :( After losing out a couple of times i then decided not to bother with a pension and do that when i was in a job / company i knew i wanted to stick with - got to that point and was thinking about what contributions to make in order to 'catch up' and i was made redundant. I definitely don't want to stay in the job i'm in now either and having an income when we are older does concern me.

I'd also like to find out more and invest in stocks and shares too
    Absolutely, the pension I'll have at the moment is rubbish - the very best that find.co.uk gives me is £50 a week :eek: so the new income methods I'm rabbiting about simply *have* to work. Sorry you've lost out tho :( , thats bad. I've been self employed for a long time, so what I *do* have is tucked into private schemes - plural. I don't trust any of them! Thinking of BTL ... I was bored doing the tax thing, and had a look at places comparatively near to where my mum is (because I've offered to look after her if she needs it) and really nice flats in Preston are as low as £25k ... but they rent out for £90 p.w. or so! Even if you tweak those figures, there's income there ... I do perhaps *think* too much :D but its relaxing :)

John Wyndham fan :j
    Excellent :T

I am also in the position of wanting to maintain and improve our home too

With your apartment in france i am sorry you said it wasn't a good investment but it is over half way to being all yours now :T Is this the mortgage you are focusing on paying off :)
    You're dead right! Its this place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Contamines-Montjoie. Mortgage was E75k originally, its now £34k. As for the maintenance, I'm just doing bits right now, the focus has to be the tax, but I'm on a roll again :)

And please tell me that its a lovely camper van you are going to get :D

And well done on the £90 too :T
    Yep :T And thank you :beer:

This is very long! Better answer Z separately ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Subscribes as well. Liking the savings and liking the John Wyndham reference even more.....hope you disclosed the triffids in the garden to the insurers ;-)
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport