Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2½

Options

Comments

• Saversue
    Saversue Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OMG SS... do you live in a castle. 15 days of labour is :eek::eek::eek: They could re-roof the house, do the gutters/boards, and replace the windows within that period of time.[/QUOTE]

I wish - no. Was new-build when I moved in 23 years ago
    That's what I don't understand, this bloke and his men completely replaced Mum's roof etc a few months ago, maybe more than 3 of them, but was about 7 working days.
  • Saversue
    Options
    I'm waiting for British Gas to come and replace my gas meter because it died. Apparently I'm joining the smart meter revolution. I was only saying to MG the other day that we needed to start keeping an eye on what we were using, now it looks like I'll be able to watch and count exactly what he uses :rotfl:

I found it awful to begin with, it's scary when you turn on the heating and see how much it costs per hour :eek: Strange thing with the gas, is the reading isn't instant like the electric, it's about half and hour behind.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Saversue wrote: »
    OMG SS... do you live in a castle. 15 days of labour is :eek::eek::eek: They could re-roof the house, do the gutters/boards, and replace the windows within that period of time.

That's what I don't understand, this bloke and his men completely replaced Mum's roof etc a few months ago, maybe more than 3 of them, but was about 7 working days.[/QUOTE]

Have any of your neighbours had it replaced? Might he worth asking who they used?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Options
    pippo wrote: »
    Oh Mrs, bet he's missing you, those sales mean nowt if there is nothing to sell, nothing dispatched or no invoices.

You'll get there.

Thanks I got my fit note for 28 days and it will be no problem when I need another one

TBH I am in constant pain and it is easier when I am off so don't feel too guilty I was brought up work regardless and I have always done that so going for a fit note is stressful
  • Saversue
    Options
    That's what I don't understand, this bloke and his men completely replaced Mum's roof etc a few months ago, maybe more than 3 of them, but was about 7 working days.

Have any of your neighbours had it replaced? Might he worth asking who they used?[/QUOTE]

Good Idea, most have been replaced or covered over.
    Recently have just been getting them covered with upvc trim and old wood is underneath.
    Can't see the point in that, as still rotten wood there, even though looks new.
    Will have to get more estimates, but just wanted to sort it out as easily and quickly as possible, besides now getting worried it will be far more expensive than I envisaged.
  • Saversue
    Options
    mrsmac10 wrote: »
    Thanks I got my fit note for 28 days and it will be no problem when I need another one

TBH I am in constant pain and it is easier when I am off so don't feel too guilty I was brought up work regardless and I have always done that so going for a fit note is stressful

I know where you are coming from, very stressful.
    In the end I was been given them and saying I didn't want them, wanted to work. But because I was off, couldn't go back without a fit note and they wouldn't give me one
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    scamps1966 wrote: »
    Afternoon peeps. :)

Yay! My beer from Adnams has just turned up. :j:T

:j :beer: YEY!!! At last! :beer:
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I found it awful to begin with, it's scary when you turn on the heating and see how much it costs per hour :eek: Strange thing with the gas, is the reading isn't instant like the electric, it's about half and hour behind.

Turns out that I'm not getting them today as the engineer didn't have it down as a smart meter job even though BG did so I've just got off the phone to them again to make a complaint. It's incredibly annoying that I get told one thing and a different thing happens

The whole reason for me agreeing to the smart meters was the ability to top up online - living in a rented house my LL had prepay meters put in and I don't have a choice :o

I'm quite intrigued to see what's what on the little read-y thing :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes Posts: 29,014 Forumite
    Options

Good Idea, most have been replaced or covered over.
    Recently have just been getting them covered with upvc trim and old wood is underneath.
    Can't see the point in that, as still rotten wood there, even though looks new.
    Will have to get more estimates, but just wanted to sort it out as easily and quickly as possible, besides now getting worried it will be far more expensive than I envisaged.

You say that they replaced the whole of your mums roof. Maybe this job is not big enough for them in that the manpower it would take they could get more money same hours on a bigger job?

We had similar years ago for our rather large front porch. Anyway I remember a large well known firm quoting an absolutely ridiculous price more than double other quotes we got I was told at the time by someone it was just because they didn't want the work. We chose a smaller local firm in the end from the few we got. The other quotes were all a similar figure.

It did make me panic whether we could afford it as they were first to reply! I expect the guy doesn't want to waste his time quoting.
  • pacifica9
    pacifica9 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Evening peeps.
    Hoping everyone is warm, happy and well. Hugs to those not so.
    Happy Birthday Fourp.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.” ~ Ferris Bueller
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure