PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New build homes... the catch

Options
13»

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 January 2018 at 4:35PM
    Options
    Coo, didn't even do woodwork at my school. How I hated needlework ... I don't have any confidence about DiY or choosing tradesmen, which is one of the reasons I appreciate this site for the mix of skills possessed by posters.

Now I will disagree with Money! To me anything built in the last 10 years, maybe more, is too small. I remember some 20 years ago being shown round a recently built house in what is still regarded as a desirable development and being shocked that there was hardly enough room to walk round the bed in the master bedroom.

Maybe new builds are just way smaller in London though?

And yes older garages tend to be small. My last house was built with a garage in the 1930s, just big enough for a baby Austin. My current garage, built in the mid 60s would just about fit a hatchback, as long as the driver didn't want to get in and out of the driving seat.
  • Lizbragg33
    Options
    Completely disagree with lots of the comments on this post. I bought a new build house last year and absolutely love it. We have lived in older houses before and I think if we ever buy another house it will be a new house too.

The house I bought was with a smaller construction company not one of the bigger ones. The house has wide hallways and staircases plus high ceilings. It is not small at all and far bigger than a lot of older homes we viewed They have used the space better with us having a huge room on the 3rd floor with built in wardrobes and ensuite. We have gated parking at the back of the house that fits 3 cars. The cost of energy is half what it was in a much smaller house because new houses are better insulated and have brand new eco boilers. My house has 2 separate heating systems so I can heat upstairs and downstairs separately.

Also the price has risen by 14k in the first year of living there.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I'd say your comments about garage sizes aren't necessarily true - cars have gotten bigger over the years, so garages in older houses are often smaller and won't always accomodate modern vehicles. Our small corsa just about fits into the garage of our 1947 house
    I was thinking more of 1970s 1990s,rather than earlier twentieth century.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lizbragg33 wrote: »
    Completely disagree with lots of the comments on this post. I bought a new build house last year and absolutely love it. We have lived in older houses before and I think if we ever buy another house it will be a new house too.

The house I bought was with a smaller construction company not one of the bigger ones. The house has wide hallways and staircases plus high ceilings. It is not small at all and far bigger than a lot of older homes we viewed They have used the space better with us having a huge room on the 3rd floor with built in wardrobes and ensuite. We have gated parking at the back of the house that fits 3 cars. The cost of energy is half what it was in a much smaller house because new houses are better insulated and have brand new eco boilers. My house has 2 separate heating systems so I can heat upstairs and downstairs separately.

Also the price has risen by 14k in the first year of living there.

I’m with you. I’ve bought two new builds - the second was two years old but had never been lived in.

The first - a decent size 2 bedroom flat in Lewisham with secure parking was great. It served me well for five years, warm, secure, good height as you say and I paid off my mortgage when I sold it.

The second. The one I am writing this in is a 2 bedroom house on the Kent coast. Again, warm, again secure, again high ceilings with a dedicated parking space. A small, easily maintained courtyard (hate gardening) and I am on a quiet, gated estate. It’s gone up in value by 20%. All my friends love it. It was by far the best house I saw when I was looking

Horses for courses and all that but I can’t understand folks who make sweeping statements about all new builds. They suit some/many people very well
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    The house has wide hallways and staircases plus high ceilings. It is not small at all and far bigger than a lot of older homes we viewed .

Might depend on whether you're at the lower end of the market or not.
  • Lolly88
    Lolly88 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Why do people apologise for putting posts that might have been on before?

Because they realise they could have searched the forum and got their answer from an already existing thread. Thereby saving people time and energy from replying to a question that might have been asked and answered numerous times. People are willing to help and offer advice but it gets tiresome when it's something that comes up a trillion times and can easily be found on the forum but the person hasn't bothered looking which is why on some forums some posts are made a sticky or there is an FAQ section. I'm not saying this thread is one of those, just simply answering your question.
    Homeowner
    :j
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bought a new build house last year and absolutely love it......

The house I bought was with a smaller construction company not one of the bigger ones. .........

I agree that a new house from a smaller builder could be a very good option. There's a company local to me with an excellent reputation for building one offs and small developments, but their houses don't tend to be in FTB territory. Certainly, the three they built recently in my village didn't hang about at the advertised prices. Good houses have always been built for those who can afford a little more.

Quite sweeping generalisations are also made about earlier 'period' property. These too had builders of variable quality; the Victorian and Edwardian eras being times of great speculative development in many cities.Those in the know may even avoid buying on one side of a street, because experience has taught which of two builders did the better job 100 years ago.

My last house, a classic 30s semi-dee, was not built well either, but how could it be when the money had been spent on land, giving it a huge garden and a wide avenue in front?

I'd guess that 1/3 land, 1/3 materials + labour and 1/3 profit has always pertained.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Don't forget, today's shoddy new build is tomorrow's well constructed older house.

Although I’m sure OSB won’t be lasting 50 years unlike the millions of brick built inter war houses that cover the country that are now 80 years old and going strong. 100 foot gardens too although the driveway and garage more suited to an Austin A30 than an Audi A3.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport