New £1 Coin - Car Parks

Options
13»

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cite your source please, because this page from royal mint seems to contradict what you've said.

As does this page from Bank of England

It is still very much relevant in todays day & age (at least in E&W) - as noted by the other poster who commented on it, it applies after the debt is created but not before. In parking, its the difference between getting a ticket on entry/paying on exit and prepaying before you get the ticket.
    Whoops, got the wrong organisation. Even the BoE page you point to says that it doesn't matter a toss about legal tender in normal day to day things.

Even the Royal Mint states
    a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender.
    and that appears to be the only situation where the term legal tender actually has any meaning.

I stand by my point that that legal tender is to all intents and purposes a myth because apart from in a very narrow area - paying a debt in court, nobody need accept legal tender and they can accept a subset if they so wish

Shops etc are quite within their rights to limit what methods of payments you can use. There is nothing in law to stop them saying that you can not pay using 10p and 50p coins. Your options are take it or leave it.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Whoops, got the wrong organisation. Even the BoE page you point to says that it doesn't matter a toss about legal tender in normal day to day things.

Even the Royal Mint states and that appears to be the only situation where the term legal tender actually has any meaning.

I stand by my point that that legal tender is to all intents and purposes a myth because apart from in a very narrow area - paying a debt in court, nobody need accept legal tender and they can accept a subset if they so wish

Shops etc are quite within their rights to limit what methods of payments you can use. There is nothing in law to stop them saying that you can not pay using 10p and 50p coins. Your options are take it or leave it.

So its not a myth and it is still relevant in todays world.

I'm not sure why you kept disagreeing with me earlier then given I have never implied anything to the contrary and actually explicitly stated that it was a joking reply.

The "myth" as you put it is that scottish notes can't be accepted south of the border because they are not legal tender. They're wrong in the reason they refuse it (as we've been discussing, doesnt apply to everyday transactions) but they're perfectly entitled to do so for any reason they so wish. Just as any business anywhere in the UK could legally refuse to accept english notes (at long as its not for payment of a debt in E&W at least). They could require payment to be made in buttons if they so wished. Although defeats the purpose of having a currency - designed as a median commodity to streamline the trade of different commodities.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unforeseen
    edited 17 June 2017 at 7:33AM
    Options
    It is a totally pointless concept to attempt to use the term Legal Tender in any discussion/argument about day to day monetary transactions

Maybe my wording was wrong and I should have said 'the myth that people and misguided articles have built up about legal tender and it's use'

As I said before. Forget the term 'legal tender' it has absolutely no meaning or relevance to anybody apart from a miniscule proportion of the UK populace who have to pay a court debt and even then it's pointless in reality
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    what is going to happen on October 5th, when the old £1 coins become obsolete; I didn't use "illegal tender" due to the responses in previous posts. If car parks and other machines have not been changed how do we pay for tickets?
  • unforeseen
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    what is going to happen on October 5th, when the old £1 coins become obsolete; I didn't use "illegal tender" due to the responses in previous posts. If car parks and other machines have not been changed how do we pay for tickets?

It means that if they haven't been converted then you need to use the coinage that is current AND the machine accepts. It's no different to finding that a machine hasn't been converted to take £2 coins. Lots of those still about and not limited to the parking industry either
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    It means that if they haven't been converted then you need to use the coinage that is current AND the machine accepts. It's no different to finding that a machine hasn't been converted to take £2 coins. Lots of those still about and not limited to the parking industry either
    <Tongue in cheek mode ON>
    Oh, yes, never thought of that. Now I know what to do with the £4.50 in loose change that is wearing a hole in my pocket.
    <Tongue in cheek mode OFF>
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    in the fact that they are almost leading everyone to pay the more expensive card payment method?

In every city I've parked in the card charge is exactly the same (everywhere seems to use RingGo)

Where is this you're talking about that it's different?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure